Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triviul - Angelsaint (M&F)
Oh yeah!!!! I am enjoying the Triviul material.. The violin+slide bass groove in the middle is just pure vibe.. So the goal is to have the listener anticipate that part every time they listen.. in every song there should be the part of the song most listeners will anticipate (like in MJ Billie Jean, for me its the synth stabs that come in on the second verse)..

Getting through the Triviul stuff, having a blast! BTW, these Triviul posts are at my full blast mix/master taboo range.. some older posts I did in the forum was the result of learning a new workstation.. now that I have it down, I'm doing these Triviul songs on the benefit of having used the forum in the past to aid me in finding my mojo..

Update: Recall version with more emphasis on bass/vocal conversation.

.mp3    Angelsaint_rev2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Blimey -- that's a pretty brutal vision! Not that I don't like it. On the contrary, it's very much in the spirit of the music, and I love what you've done in terms of unapologetically bringing out all the grimy details of the violin, SFX, and drums. I love hearing all that stuff. Glad you liked that middle section too -- it's actually one of the moments I'm most happy with in anything I've written, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it! Smile

The only real criticism I have would be with the bass. When I put the track together, I deliberately programmed that bass synth as a counterpoint to the vocal, and there's very much a musical conversation going on there. In this mix, though, the bass feels too recessed for me, so that the vocal dominates the conversation too much -- it's like it's shouting down the bass, if you see what I mean. Feels like a bit of a shame, somehow, because the music seems to lose a bit of its expressiveness/tension as a result. But maybe I'm just too wedded to the bass because it took absolutely ages to program... Smile

Thanks again for posting!
(07-10-2016, 06:57 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Blimey -- that's a pretty brutal vision! Not that I don't like it. On the contrary, it's very much in the spirit of the music, and I love what you've done in terms of unapologetically bringing out all the grimy details of the violin, SFX, and drums. I love hearing all that stuff. Glad you liked that middle section too -- it's actually one of the moments I'm most happy with in anything I've written, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it! Smile

The only real criticism I have would be with the bass. When I put the track together, I deliberately programmed that bass synth as a counterpoint to the vocal, and there's very much a musical conversation going on there. In this mix, though, the bass feels too recessed for me, so that the vocal dominates the conversation too much -- it's like it's shouting down the bass, if you see what I mean. Feels like a bit of a shame, somehow, because the music seems to lose a bit of its expressiveness/tension as a result. But maybe I'm just too wedded to the bass because it took absolutely ages to program... Smile

Thanks again for posting!

Hey Mike: I know exactly what you mean with the bass "conversation" and got that intent from listening to the ref of the song.. I was going to initially split the bass into 2 track copies and have one do what its doing now and then really drive the second to deliver the tonal presence the bass work delivers.

I'll look into this adjustment on next recall.
Update made with bass/vocal conversation contrasting
(07-10-2016, 05:39 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Update: Recall version with more emphasis on bass/vocal conversation.

I would say you've nailed the mix here.

Could fit on any Depeche Mode album -- more specifically, Violator.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(09-10-2016, 02:33 AM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(07-10-2016, 05:39 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Update: Recall version with more emphasis on bass/vocal conversation.

I would say you've nailed the mix here.

Could fit on any Depeche Mode album -- more specifically, Violator.

Thanks again: this material is really that good.. reminds me of DM all the way.. wanted to present a version of these Trivial songs that reflect that kind of scope.
Medley final posted on my Better song post: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...2#pid51302