Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triviul - Gimme
Ok.. this is a tough SoB.. One of the toughest 16 tracks on this forum, no doubt about it, I'm working my way around all the Triviul stuff, but when I saw the small post count, I didn't listen to any refs, any other postings, I downloaded the multis and dug right in...

And I had to dig into every little trick to get it to match the par of my other Triviul work... and bottom line, this song requires some advanced decisions and ballsy use of tools to get your desired result..

I used a very dark secret proprietary trick to stage the drum loop.. I will share it here since its an educational forum: I tried normalizing the drum track with RMS and Peak.. no good.. the dynamics (sporadic up and down volumes) baked in the drums are just too vast.. so, in cases like that, I reach for Waves VOCAL RIDER!!! Yep, Vocal Rider will level out any sound source with an automated volume ride and level it perfectly.. Then I had to reach for the UA LA2A to give the drum the color and leveling I wanted to give the center to the song how I wanted it.. I also used some other tricks to the drums but I'm giving this one little secret with Vocal Rider to help others who work with this song and may be looking for a solution to control the drum loop.

This song is an advanced tester, one of the more advanced tunes on the forum.

.mp3    Gimme.mp3 --  (Download: 7 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(06-10-2016, 04:27 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: This song is an advanced tester, one of the more advanced tunes on the forum.

I'm flattered. Wink Love the boldness of your vision -- you're not afraid to take a hammer and tongs to the tracks, and I love hearing that. You've given it a kind of edginess that was more buried in the subtext in my original version, and I think I quite like it being more explicit like this. The apparent gentleness of the sounds/arrangement is of course a ruse in this song, and you've made that more apparent. Sometimes the extreme way you modulate the balances from moment to moment took me off-guard, and isn't a listen for the faint-hearted, but I liked it a lot. Reminded me of Portishead, who I've always been a big fan of. Thanks for posting!

(07-10-2016, 06:32 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 04:27 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: This song is an advanced tester, one of the more advanced tunes on the forum.

I'm flattered. Wink Love the boldness of your vision -- you're not afraid to take a hammer and tongs to the tracks, and I love hearing that. You've given it a kind of edginess that was more buried in the subtext in my original version, and I think I quite like it being more explicit like this. The apparent gentleness of the sounds/arrangement is of course a ruse in this song, and you've made that more apparent. Sometimes the extreme way you modulate the balances from moment to moment took me off-guard, and isn't a listen for the faint-hearted, but I liked it a lot. Reminded me of Portishead, who I've always been a big fan of. Thanks for posting!

Hey Mike: Edginess YES! Portishead SUPER YES! This material has a soul and character in the middle and my focus is to reach in and capture (and embrace) the soundscapes that comprise the song.

I'm finding that each song is starting to feel to me like children: all from the same source, but each one has their own unique personality..

Medley final posted on my Better song post: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...2#pid51302
(07-10-2016, 12:09 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:

Hey Mike: Edginess YES! Portishead SUPER YES! This material has a soul and character in the middle and my focus is to reach in and capture (and embrace) the soundscapes that comprise the song.

I'm finding that each song is starting to feel to me like children: all from the same source, but each one has their own unique personality..

I really like your take on this tune. I held off listening to it until I'd finished my mix. Like what you did with the drums and bass.
(10-10-2016, 03:34 PM)MrGroove Wrote:
(07-10-2016, 12:09 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:

I really like your take on this tune. I held off listening to it until I'd finished my mix. Like what you did with the drums and bass.

Thanks, I'm starting to hear this song in my head, the melodies.. its catchy.
This is a catchy little ditty. This Triviul fellow is starting to grow on me. The compositional complexity and sonic depth remind me of Peter Gabriel. A lot.