Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triviul - Better (M&F)
(07-10-2016, 06:45 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Again, this is a great bold vision, and I love hearing this kind of thing. Can't judge the bass issue, because I'm listening on my PC minispeakers, but a couple of other queries occur to me. The first is that the very sharp attack you give to the kick drum, while certainly very punchy, seems to slow down the groove. For me the kick in this track performed more of a 'rippling' role, especially during the verses, rather than trying to anchor the rhythm, and it seems like it's dominating over the music a little much now, so that it feels too busy.

The second thing is something I've noticed in most other mixes of this track too: when we hit the drop-chorus (ie. chorus three, where the texture drops to just vocals a drums) the new counterpoint vocals feel a little underpowered. For me those are the aspect that should really surprise the listener and add a new shot of energy to propel them through to the end of the track. Whereas in your version (and indeed most others) they're somehow not grappling enough with the lead on more equal terms, which seems like a lost opportunity somehow.

Great work overall, though, and I very much enjoyed the listen!

Hey Mike: This material is really good stuff, and I tend to relate a "feel" perspective to material like this, and instantly for this song, all the elements are present to deliver a "sound switch-up" listening experience, similar to Queen Bohemian Rhapsody and NIN Perfect Drug..

The perspective of the decisions made here is from a first time listener's view.. how can the song invite them in, catch their attention and keep drawing them into the tune? Melody is hypnotic to a listener, and Triviul materials give so many great first opportunities to "hypnotize" a first listener, here in Better are the great tones on the kick drum work as well as the intro FX scapes.. then from there the patches of part changeups gives a progressive groove but unpredictable listening experience.

My pay-dirt point of the song in my playback listening is that drop-chorus.. here, the decision was to make it "part" of the song many unique "wall of sound'esq" parts..

This is definitely taboo (to the rules) works of these songs, the soul of these tunes have so much character that it's so inviting to reach in and pull the soul to the face of the tune!

Some really fun stuff, and I'm getting around the associated material for my own personal enjoyment of the material (I like to play them really loud Smile.

Thanks for the listen and sharing of the works.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Update: recall version uploaded with slight adjustment to bass, slight more "Hallelujah" on the third chorus drop and main vocal inhale cleanup.
(01-10-2016, 07:19 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: This is some good stuff here.. what a creative artist! Went with my instincts in this.. * disclaimer: this has mastering processing so it doesn't represent mix levels.

Another good mix. Could do with a little more action above 5KHz though?
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(09-10-2016, 02:52 AM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 07:19 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: This is some good stuff here.. what a creative artist! Went with my instincts in this.. * disclaimer: this has mastering processing so it doesn't represent mix levels.

Another good mix. Could do with a little more action above 5KHz though?

Thanks.. I plan to do a final chained post of all the Triviul songs together (once I work with the last 2 songs in the list) and I will keep an ear out for song to song frq levels..
Medley final posted.
(10-10-2016, 05:37 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Medley final posted.

Like this a lot, and there's definitely a unifying character you've brought in terms of the sound and mix aesthetic. Great job! Also, I think this has my favourite version of Angelsaint of any I've heard so far -- the attitude is great, and that bass line is working much better for me now. Being a bit of a control freak, with all these mixes I could pick out dozens of little corners where something seems a little out of balance, but if I'm honest with myself these mixes are a bit like the Royal Blood album: you get so carried along by the attitude that they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. If anything, the rough edges add to the character, and these mixes are all about character, which is great -- especially because (as the artist) you're always somehow a little less bold with things than a disinterested third-party can be.

My only real criticism (from listening on my PC speakers, at least) is that I quite often got the impression that I was hearing the 'vocal down' version, where the 'vocal up' version would serve the music better. It's not always the case, though, because the vocal levels are a bit erratic overall, and that's one thing that I think would benefit from a bit more detailed automation work. Overall, though, I like it a lot -- thanks for putting in so much effort on these!
(10-10-2016, 07:05 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(10-10-2016, 05:37 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Medley final posted.

Like this a lot, and there's definitely a unifying character you've brought in terms of the sound and mix aesthetic. Great job! Also, I think this has my favourite version of Angelsaint of any I've heard so far -- the attitude is great, and that bass line is working much better for me now. Being a bit of a control freak, with all these mixes I could pick out dozens of little corners where something seems a little out of balance, but if I'm honest with myself these mixes are a bit like the Royal Blood album: you get so carried along by the attitude that they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. If anything, the rough edges add to the character, and these mixes are all about character, which is great -- especially because (as the artist) you're always somehow a little less bold with things than a disinterested third-party can be.

My only real criticism (from listening on my PC speakers, at least) is that I quite often got the impression that I was hearing the 'vocal down' version, where the 'vocal up' version would serve the music better. It's not always the case, though, because the vocal levels are a bit erratic overall, and that's one thing that I think would benefit from a bit more detailed automation work. Overall, though, I like it a lot -- thanks for putting in so much effort on these!

Thanks Mike: by all means as you know, these nuanced adjustments would be a session away in a sit down, tailoring from the foundational decisions to the specifics to client satisfaction. I enjoyed breaking away into these songs to explore how far my growth has come on the audio station I built, using the forum to get back into pro audio form.
That's some good stuff there, DDL. Everything that I kept somewhat subdued in my mix, you put right up front. Great emphasis on the drums and SFX, too. I like how he divided the bass between the 808 and the other bass track, something I've never heard any other artist do.
A very inventive and innovative song by an artist who should be getting much more exposure and an outstanding mix.
(31-10-2016, 06:06 PM)MrGroove Wrote: That's some good stuff there, DDL. Everything that I kept somewhat subdued in my mix, you put right up front. Great emphasis on the drums and SFX, too. I like how he divided the bass between the 808 and the other bass track, something I've never heard any other artist do.
A very inventive and innovative song by an artist who should be getting much more exposure and an outstanding mix.

Thanks, the material motivated me to bring out the artistic qualities in the material, I will get around to the last few tunes.
Final update, leading with post song and the 3 other final versions for a medley.