Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free
This is my first attempt, I tried to keep the dynamics, feel free to share your opinion Smile

.mp3    SMF2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

First thing that caught my attention was that the lead vocal is buried behind the instrumentation.
To judge vocal level, you can do the whisper test: try lowering the volume gradually from normal level to a level to almost inaudible. The last thing you should be able to distinguish is the vocal, and you should be able to understand it.
That's not the case here, as I was listening to at relatively low level at first and I had to push it to hear the vocals when they entered.
In general I think the leads (keys and guitar solo) could be given more center stage, but they stand up to the band, the rest is fine overall, tones and dynamic are there. So if you address the vocal level you should have a respectable mix IMHO...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Yeah i've noticed i accidentally rendered the unfinished version, so here is the correct one, with more present vocals Smile

Thank you for the response by the way! I will play with the panning knobs for the keys and guitar you mentioned, to see what difference i get in overall sounding.

.mp3    SMF2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

Sounds better Matt! Not that I particularly like my voice in general, but it's a song after all! Wink
BTW, by "center stage" for the leads, I was not imply panning as such, but levels more than anything.
Good job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here