Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Through My Eyes - Dags mix
After a 2 week hiatus, I finally get one night to work on some music.
I was going to give my ears a break and review it later but who knows when I'll get a chance to get back in the studio? Undecided

So I have tried to match a typical 'Disney' soundtrack song for this tune - lots of high end sparkle, vocal right out front and loads of reverb & delay on everything Smile
I have left lots of tail in the fade-out for future mastering.

Anyone else notice that the overhead audio file in the multitrack is very delayed? (in time, not effected) The hihats sounded like two separate hits until I got them lined up again. The snare also needed to be phase inverted.

Ok - time for bed!
I'll try to get online sometime over the next couple of days to read your notes on how I can improve what I have put together.
(Would love some processing tips on how to make that nylon string guitar a little bit 'nicer')

Dags

.mp3    Through My Eyes - Dags Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.43 MB)

So many songs, so little time!
Sounds great to me!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Great sounding mix !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

What a beautiful mix you've done here Dags !

Love that vocal, in the face and almost dry ... (almost.. .don't worry, i noticed the delay and the subtle verb Wink
Kick and bass make a solid foundation to the rest, well, nothing really critical to point out, it's just quasi perfect ! And thanks for the tail ... you can't imagine how many tracks without any second of tail, or even worse, cut, i receive for mastering.
If i may, the only thing i would try to correct is that predominant frequency in the solo guitar, around 500-700hz i guess, which makes it a litlle boomy .

And if you really want to work on this song to make it better (yes you can!) : i would definitely work on the depth aspect of it. Your mix is very large, in stereo width, but, as many mixes do, suffer a little from depth stages. Drums could be "behind" in terms of image, not level... guitars could have their own space too, as you would construct a realistic image of an ensemble playing together. I know it's not that easy, i'm fighting with this every mix i do to make them sound deep and wide. sometimes i success, many times i don't Wink

Cheers ! Keep making us listening to your good stuff !

Fantastic mix Dags ,perfect
Got to agree, you've created a great mix here. Great Job !!
it's beautiful, dags!
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

This is actually a really good song to mix for people new to mixing. As the drums are virtual instruments they're really clean (even if the snare hits were somehow inconsistent!)

Xabi, I found the problem frequencies of the nylon string (lead) guitar at 415Hz (-10dB) and 780Hz (-4.5dB) and also raised the HPF filter to 340Hz. Thanks for suggesting putting it in its own space - Logic has an impulse response called 'Western Guitar' which was perfect (with a little EQ tweaking)

I raised the level of the common 'room' reverb so that the drums have more depth to them now. In response to the raised effect level I pulled back the send from the vocal and tweaked the pre-delay on the vocal send - amazing how changing one thing requires so much faffing around with other things!

Anyway, I hope that I have hit the mark this time around.

I now have a little goblin to bathe and read to Wink

Dags

.mp3    Through My Eyes - Dags Mix V2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

So many songs, so little time!
Hey Dags ! Before you go to bed ... is there a way i can listen to it in wav. format ? or any lossless encoding like flac or mp4 ?
Your mixes are so good and preciste that it's really a pain for me to listen to them in mp3 ...
I suggest you open a soundcloud (it's free...), there you can upload your mixes in wav, and make them free downloadable !

Anyway, i'm listening to your mix right now and compare the two of them !

I allready guess this one is the good one Wink
Wel! almost perfect ! Nice job on the lead nylon for the disturbing freq. But i think you raised the HPF a little too high... guitar looses its body. Maybe somewhere between 100 and 200hz would be enough ? For the rest, nothing to say... it's just splendid !
If i would be producer, i might suggest, for "commercial" reasons, that your lead vocal could be a little more "wet" with delays and long pre delayed reverb ... but i'm not and i really like it like that Smile

Great job !

See you