Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around Mix
This was a fun one. I am used to doing hip-hop and pop so I try to get out of my element every now and then to mix other genres. You'll be able to hear the hip-hop influence in the drums, heh heh.

This is actually the first mix I've done with the new mixing concept I came up with the other day which involves lots of mid/side and hybrid mixing - I think it came out pretty good.

I think the finishing touch on this could have been some nice fader riding but I just didn't have the energy to do it on this one. Plus, pro tools doesn't seem to let you assign their faders to regular ol midi controllers, so I didn't feel like doing some complicated work around.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

.mp3    Come Around_(iShouldBSleeping mix)_Final.mp3 --  (Download: 9.48 MB)

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Really nice drums! In general very powerful mix. I liked itSmile
Sorry, but i lost some guitars and backing vocals in your version, i guess it's special decisionCool
(29-09-2016, 01:58 PM)Konek Wrote: Really nice drums! In general very powerful mix. I liked itSmile
Sorry, but i lost some guitars and backing vocals in your version, i guess it's special decisionCool

Actually the background vocals were the last thing I got to in the mix, and I didn't feel like pitch correcting them and was burnt out from the rest of the mix so I just never put them in. And all the guitars are there, but some of them I think are just lower in the mix and kind of blend with the rest of the guitars so you may not hear them. After listening to everyone elses mix that is the only thing I'd change, is I'd make the guitars more prominent.. I didn't really spend much time on them at all. Thanks for listening.
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Very interesting to hear the scrupulous version!
Sounds really good, nothing to complain. Well, maybe the vocals could open up a bit more in the chorus in the sense of depth/reverb.

Cheers!
Leaving my feedback a lil late but here it is.

at 1:39 there is bass fret noise.. You should do a quick check on those small details to make sure they don't poke out in your mix.
I like the overall dark feel of the drums. I can tell you like hip hop you kinda gave it an approach of that sort.
On the buildup at 2:35 there is a tambourine in the center running alonside with a stereo tambourine which sounds very odd.
As far as the awful freq. on the guitars.. I can hear many ringing that could be tamed more.. but it sounds okay. You have to really pay attention in order to notice.

Overall a good well balanced mix. good job.
It sounds pretty good. Occasionally the vocal gets a little harsh but it's not too bad.

My only issue is the stereo spread, specifically in the choruses. It sounds too wide and artificial. I know you mentioned dos M/S processing in your original post so I'm sure it's probably tied to that. This is on earbuds though I don't know how it sounds on monitors. It could be a cool effect on some instruments but it feels like everything is being widened it feels like it loses it's power.

That's probably just me though.