Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qupe: 'Ayni Nehirde' Dangerous Style
Found this one quite challenging trying to bring it to life. My main issues as it turned out, were mainly with the dynamics of the drum overheads which seem to lack "spark" and the electric guitar tracks which to my ears sounded stiff and a little lifeless. Tonally all the tracks sounded great and required little work. With some insight from "Big Dave" I have experimented with some expanding with these particular tracks. The overheads were tricky but I think I got them to where I wanted them to be. The guitar tracks I managed to open them up to sound how I wanted, without too much effort. I found that little processing was required for the remainder tracks.

Really enjoyable song to work with and lot's of lessons learnt. Thanks to the band for the great set of multi's. The Turkish certainly know how to turn it upBig Grin

Dave

.mp3    Qupe_AyniNehirde Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.91 MB)

.mp3    Qupe_AyniNehirde_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.9 MB)

.mp3    Qupe_AyniNehirde Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.89 MB)

Pretty good to my ears, and everything is nicely in its place.

I like how the vox sits naturally in front of the band.

Some points to consider
- hi-hat on the left and string attack on the right feel a bit separate from the band
- where’s the low end?
- hi-hat can bring up some fatique as it’s hissing in so high frequencies constantly
Hi Dave I agree with Olli H about the lack of low end also hi hat and strings,I know it's a difficult track to mix.
(23-09-2016, 06:05 PM)Olli H Wrote: Pretty good to my ears, and everything is nicely in its place.

I like how the vox sits naturally in front of the band.

Some points to consider
- hi-hat on the left and string attack on the right feel a bit separate from the band
- where’s the low end?
- hi-hat can bring up some fatique as it’s hissing in so high frequencies constantly

Good points Olli. I have hopefully addressed these issues in bounce#2. Valued comments as always.

ThanksSmile
(24-09-2016, 04:00 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave I agree with Olli H about the lack of low end also hi hat and strings,I know it's a difficult track to mix.

Thanks for checking it out Cudjoe. Hopefully sorted that hihat. It was pretty annoying. I have upped the bottom end a little also. I thought I was fairly happy with it.Huh I tend to mix it on the lighter side in this area. anything under 100hz I'm limited with my monitoring.

Cheers
I think the version 2 is better, especially in choruses one can hear the difference.

But on the otherhand I feel the low end is a bit unclear now. I think I like the thiner low-end of the first version more. But the low end is an area where each of us are struggling, and my opinions about it are about to change after each 10 minutes. But as we all like to develop as mixers, I think it’s not right way to cut the bass away. Pro mixes always have healthy low end.

For those of us who cannot afford to have a million dollar room, personnally I think it’s a good to have best possible a 300 dollar mixing headphones around, to check some issues that are masked by our cheap rooms. Speakers are always better for balancing etc, but it’s invaluable also hear some things without the coloring made by our room. So good headphones can give us some information that we are not able to otherwise get.

Essential with mixing headphones is that they should be open and have as flat as possible frequency curve. Good mixing headphones are not necesserily those which ”sound best”.
Hi Dave ,
I like both versions in version 2 the upper bass guitar maybe a touch upfront ,I'm currently working on version 5.
Love this band really good musicians !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZYIN1fBD1I

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(24-09-2016, 07:40 AM)Olli H Wrote: I think the version 2 is better, especially in choruses one can hear the difference.

But on the otherhand I feel the low end is a bit unclear now. I think I like the thiner low-end of the first version more. But the low end is an area where each of us are struggling, and my opinions about it are about to change after each 10 minutes. But as we all like to develop as mixers, I think it’s not right way to cut the bass away. Pro mixes always have healthy low end.

For those of us who cannot afford to have a million dollar room, personnally I think it’s a good to have best possible a 300 dollar mixing headphones around, to check some issues that are masked by our cheap rooms. Speakers are always better for balancing etc, but it’s invaluable also hear some things without the coloring made by our room. So good headphones can give us some information that we are not able to otherwise get.

Essential with mixing headphones is that they should be open and have as flat as possible frequency curve. Good mixing headphones are not necesserily those which ”sound best”.

This made me laugh a bit. A case of being over reactive to comments without investigating the problem fully. I just boosted the kick and bass in #2, thus the unclear boom. Monitoring sure is challenging in this area. I have got some pro headphones but find them still quite limited to highlighting any issues in the low sub frequencies. My best bet is still testing the mix around the house on different systems big and small and seeing how it translates. Quite a time consuming process. I have also got some cheap Samson headphones that don't sound particularly pleasant but I do find these to be quite revealing and very good at emphasising frequency build ups throughout the spectrum. A case of finding what works. To succeed, improvisation has to be part of the process.Smile

Thanks Olli,

(24-09-2016, 12:39 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,
I like both versions in version 2 the upper bass guitar maybe a touch upfront ,I'm currently working on version 5.
Love this band really good musicians !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZYIN1fBD1I

Thanks for the video link. Great viewing, look to be quite a talented outfit. Some nice bluesy tracks there also. I'm long overdue for some live music.

With Vers #5 coming your obviously quite dedicated to the causeBig Grin. I think I might have one more version to present. thats if I can sort out the bassHuh

Cheers
(24-09-2016, 01:34 PM)Dangerous Wrote: This made me laugh a bit. A case of being over reactive to comments without investigating the problem fully. I just boosted the kick and bass in #2, thus the unclear boom.

I guess that most of us here are struggling with same problems. If we were pros, we wouldn’t be here, we would be busy with mixing for our clients. So when I comment your mixes, before taking any actions, you have to take into consideration that ”maybe Olli’s monitoring lacks the proper low-end alltogether, which would explain why his mixes have always too much bass”.