Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumblebee - Olli H
Fun to mix. I never been to choir concert but maybe I should go someday.

With that perspective in mind I tried to create an illusion of big space but sitting in first row in the audience.

.mp3    Don Camillo-2016-09-07-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 5.61 MB)

An enjoyable, relaxed listen with headphones Olli. I feel you have achieved your desired sound. Even a larger warmer reverb could work here but dialling in on the right sound would be challenging. Things can get messy pretty quickly. The only issue that I may be hearing is a touch to much 3khz when the Soprano parts come in strong. I think it's maybe effecting the room sound also. A slight proximity effect I guess like the performance space has a low ceiling.
Good job managing the mix, a few challenges hidden within. Well Done.Big Grin

Dave
Thanks, you're probably just right about those sopranos. I'll check if i can fix that, but it may happen that corrections affect so much other things, that I'll leave it the way it is. But we'll see.

In room mics it felt that sopranos were in the middle, but I decided not to care about positions in them. I even flipped the left-right positioning in them.
Lovely version Olli ,Enjoyed listening Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Well, you certainly set your goals high with that idea of sitting in the front row. When I try to mix recorded ambience and 'plugin reverbs' it just ends up being a total mess. I think you succeeded in this quite nicely. Maybe the finger snaps could use more reverb to boost the impression of the larger space. For me this turned out to be quite challenging to get at least something out.
THanks, you're right the space is not as coherent as it should be. I started to mix this as if it was a good old Golden Gate Quartet, but I realized quite quickly that a choir and a quartet are not exactly the same thing. After my initial mistake I was stuck to idea to that idea to bring the singers a bit closer. So I tried to use the closer mics first and later add far mics.
But from the point of view of source material and song I quess that your approach to start with far mics is more natural and healthy.
(18-09-2016, 03:25 PM)Olli H Wrote: THanks, you're right the space is not as coherent as it should be.

What I meant was that in my opinion you succeeded in creating the impression of larger space, and did not mess the sound field, and maybe adding more reverb to finger snapping could enhance the effect futher. ^_^