Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Trude The Bumblebee'
I struggled to control my excitement at the thought of mixing this one when these multi's were made available. What a lovely performance and a fun piece.

A laptop on the couch mix, I struggled to get that nice ambience room sound that seemed to be strongly present in the choir performances I referenced. Using Apples stock Matrix reverb I pushed the reverb as far as I was comfortable with, without washing away the musical content too much.

A great set of multitracks to sink ones teeth into.Big Grin

Mix #2 Added. I have closed in the stereo image of the main pair mic tracks to 80%. I have also added some extra dynamic eq to the bass group to help control some of the sibilances present.

Dave

.mp3    TrudeTheBumblebee_Dangerous.mp3 --  (Download: 5.71 MB)

.mp3    DonCamilloChoir_TrudeTheBumblebee_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.71 MB)

Hi Dave!
Soft and delicate sounding mix, excellent work with voices separationSmile I liked the whistle especially.
Nice and smooth overall sound.
I like the balances the way they are.

Some minor notes:

Now the bass is not in center. That’s probably not a problem with speakers but with headphones it puts more energy to the right.

Actually currently nobodys in the center, except the lady in the beginning. I’m not sure if this is a problem, as I know nothing about mixing choirs. But if you could make the low end mono and put for example claps to center (i don’t mean mono), it might give a nice center pole to the mix.

I like especially the beginning with lady in the center. But after that part the mix loses some focus. After that everybody is quite far in space. It might me right solutions with choirs, but still I mix the three dimensionality that comes if there could be something near and others far.

Choir makes a nice natural fade out. But the whistler is not participating to that as it was recorded separately. So whistler maybe gets too strong during the fade out.
(06-09-2016, 03:58 PM)Konek Wrote: Hi Dave!
Soft and delicate sounding mix, excellent work with voices separationSmile I liked the whistle especially.

Thanks Konek, I love the addition of the whistle also, it adds a fun element to the song.
(07-09-2016, 06:29 PM)Olli H Wrote: Nice and smooth overall sound.
I like the balances the way they are.

Some minor notes:

Now the bass is not in center. That’s probably not a problem with speakers but with headphones it puts more energy to the right.

Actually currently nobodys in the center, except the lady in the beginning. I’m not sure if this is a problem, as I know nothing about mixing choirs. But if you could make the low end mono and put for example claps to center (i don’t mean mono), it might give a nice center pole to the mix.

I like especially the beginning with lady in the center. But after that part the mix loses some focus. After that everybody is quite far in space. It might me right solutions with choirs, but still I mix the three dimensionality that comes if there could be something near and others far.

Choir makes a nice natural fade out. But the whistler is not participating to that as it was recorded separately. So whistle maybe gets too strong during the fade out.

These style of acoustic multitracks are some of my favourite to work with. I love working with the captured room sounds and mic bleed of the live recordings although it's clear I still need lot's more practice working with them. I have this feeling that if I can master these I can take on any mix confidently.

I agree with the somewhat hollow centre and I maybe need to bring the stereo image back some what to fill the void. Analyzing the raw tracks, I took it that the choir was divided to males to the left and females to the right, so I tried to mix it that way as naturally as possible. If this correct or not is another thing. This is also the reason why the bass part is also off centre and I was happy with this even though I can see that there more energy in the left channel. I'm not sure it's a problem with this style of music but i'm happy to be proven wrong. I'm not to sure that my reverb choice's with this track are helping that much either, but anyway....

I actually like the whistle at the end of the song. I'm not sure if this was an intentional part of the arrangement, but for me it adds a relaxed informal element to the track that fits nicely.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.Smile
Lovely live vibe Dave Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(09-09-2016, 09:17 AM)thedon Wrote: Lovely live vibe Dave Big Grin

Thanks Don, Maybe too Live? I'm still not sure on my reverb choices.Huh Anyway all's good.