Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Trude The Bumblebee'
here is my mix. hope you like

Mixed in the bos with Studio One 3, waves plugins

Any input??

Sergio

.mp3    Trude the Bumblebee.mp3 --  (Download: 5.57 MB)

the room acoustics is our biggest challenge, me thinks. you'll need dynamicEQ to try and contain/control the room modes, and static EQ to help tweek the vocals. i can hear the modes appearing as well as some frequency build up from a lack of decay in the lower part of the spectrum from the difficult acoustics. the males are exciting the modal issues in your mix. a very tricky multi indeed...

downward compression will exaggerate the room's ambiance, special care is needed on the parameters to minimise this as best as possible? EQ could also help here. maybe part of the fun in the mix game is to find ways to prevent the room from developing it's intrusive tendencies?

hope the translator works, my spanish is shocking these days!

regards,,,
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(01-09-2016, 12:44 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: the room acoustics is our biggest challenge, me thinks. you'll need dynamicEQ to try and contain/control the room modes, and static EQ to help tweek the vocals. i can hear the modes appearing as well as some frequency build up from a lack of decay in the lower part of the spectrum from the difficult acoustics. the males are exciting the modal issues in your mix. a very tricky multi indeed...

Interesting observations. Out of interest, are you hearing these same issues in the library preview mix?

I really enjoyed this one. Sounds nice Sergio, well done. I'm pretty keen to have a go at this one myself.Smile
(03-09-2016, 01:22 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Interesting observations. Out of interest, are you hearing these same issues in the library preview mix?

I note that both the preview and especially Sergio's, are heavily compressed as well as being brickwall limited to that of a Loudness War level (and subsequent DAC distortion); I don't think this helps. the final chorus gets too hot in both.

The preview mix is suggesting some instablity in the lower range and booms on occasion. Having since downloaded the multi and taken a look around, it's clear many of the problems before us lie in how each channel interacts with everything else (bass is non-directional). Some mic's are close to the bass group and therefore tend to have greater energy to control than others, but the spectrum varies immensely. I wouldn't say it's modes directly, but nevertheless, and given the subjective small space they were recorded in, the modes are going to be close enough to cause mischief. What also doesn't help us is the RT60 element in the sub 300Hz zone which gets carried in varying proportions through all the close and spot mics and especially the main's - the bass group really fires the room up; there's so much energy there, eh? It's most likely this interaction I'm hearing than the modal issues per se.

Dumping one bass mic helped me (can't remember which, but i felt there was already enough), and deploying a combination of static and dynamic EQ on individual tracks as well as some additional dynamicEQ support on group busses, blah blah. Though I've not nearly started mixing...just exploring, I'm not far away from dumping the main mic(s) because of the smear and wash in the low end, and make my own up if needs be - a low cut was futile.

Must say this is a fantastic multi to work and get technical with, not least because it's all vocals and we're sensitive to imbalances more than in any other instrument. I found that getting the lead to sit timbrally and acoustically with the choir was..........................and still is.............challenging Wink

Everyone should have a go at this, especially if it's not their genre of choice, simply for the experience of what can be gained from it. Respect for those that do try...

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!