Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc - The Dice first Mix and Master
Hi guys, this is my first submission ever to the site. A bit about me, I'm a recent graduate of a sound engineering and design degree from SSR Manchester looking to hopefully one day have a career in mastering. I like to do mixing for the creative aspects but to also enhance my abilities and understanding of sound in general.

This is a great song which made the mixing experience that bit more enjoyable. I found 3 things to be the key to getting this mix to stand out; automation, compression and reverb. I like to use automation to enhance the dynamics of a song rather than compress to create loudness. This made the flow of the song more natural, as if it was live. I used compression to shape the instruments and vocals rather than using it for volume as too much compression can't kill dynamics and lead to a 'pumping' effect which defeats the point of using automation. And I found reverb to help each instrument sit in its place. They stood out but did not clash. I'm particularly fond of the reverse reverb on the vocal as that helped it sit in the mix but stand out from the instruments as well.

Creatively I chose to imitate 'You think I aint worth a dollar but I feel like a millionaire' by QOTSA in the intro as no one else had done it so far, helping make the intro hit you once it kicked in, suiting the genre of music. In the second drop I added various delays and reverb to the vocal to help make it different from the first, a bit more psychedelic and make the introduction back into the chorus stand out more.

I struggled to get the bass to stand out as I think various others have. I ended up using parallel distortion to make it cut through and support the guitars, but I think this is the best I can make it work.

I've included the master too to show the difference it can further make, but please let me know what you think as a second pair of ears are a sound engineers best friend!

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.47 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.47 MB)