Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Dangerous Inner Circle
Finally something to present. Although enjoyable I find these heavier tracks quite fatiguing to mix over long periods, so lot's of short sessions get's the job done for me.

Really enjoyed the raw multi's. Great sounding drum room tracks and loved what the "Guitar 3" part brought to the song, quite atmospheric

I haven't referenced this closely. Just spent a day or so listening to similar material just to try and pick up on the vibe of this genre

Thanks to Till and Band. Great material to work with. Big Grin

Dave

Update: 23/08. Mix#2 added, Some vocal adjustments and effects added. Extra body to the snare and guitar automation adjustments and balance. Hopefully an improvement.

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.3 MB)

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.3 MB)

Hi Dave.
Love your mix !
I think the short sessions are a great idea and have payed off your mix ,Good job especially with the drums.
This is a personal taste thing While listening I'm thinking the vocals could be a just a touch more fuller in the low frequencies and a touch more effects.

Well done

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(21-08-2016, 11:47 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave.
Love your mix !
I think the short sessions are a great idea and have payed off your mix ,Good job especially with the drums.
This is a personal taste thing While listening I'm thinking the vocals could be a just a touch more fuller in the low frequencies and a touch more effects.

Well done

Thanks Don, I may have over done the smoothing of the vocal frequencies. I will look into this and the use of some effects though out.
Nice mix, DaveSmile I liked the room on drums. Also great work with back vocals.
For my taste the guitars lacks a bit of clarity or you got your own reasons for it.
Sounds good Dave, a polished almost 80's sounding mix with the snare verb.

I noticed that the vocals are very compressed sounding and really dry. It seems like they're fighting to dominate the mix. I would add some more reverb and a short mono delay just to help put the vocals more into the mix.

The drums sound great, punchy and full sounding. The room is a cool effect, but the snare seems to lack some density and body to it. Adding some low end saturation would help with that without using too much eq overall.

While the mix does sound good, it seem somewhat sterile and lacks a certain level of dirt and crunch. I found using a driving a console emulation plugin just on the edge of break up and hit it with some compression from an ask buss comp emulation and some tape saturation gave it some punch and grit without compromising clarity.

Overall your mix sounds good, it needs some refining.

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(21-08-2016, 02:05 PM)Konek Wrote: Nice mix, DaveSmile I liked the room on drums. Also great work with back vocals.
For my taste the guitars lacks a bit of clarity or you got your own reasons for it.

Thanks Konek, I'm always pushing my guitars hard in my mixes, so this time I decided to back off the throttle a little. More room the the great drums and vocals.Smile

Dave
(21-08-2016, 06:22 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Sounds good Dave, a polished almost 80's sounding mix with the snare verb.

I noticed that the vocals are very compressed sounding and really dry. It seems like they're fighting to dominate the mix. I would add some more reverb and a short mono delay just to help put the vocals more into the mix.

Yeah, definitely hitting the compressor too hard. I have got some delay and verb going, just not enough. Will take your advice with the next bounce.

(21-08-2016, 06:22 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: The drums sound great, punchy and full sounding. The room is a cool effect, but the snare seems to lack some density and body to it. Adding some low end saturation would help with that without using too much eq overall.

Adding saturation Undecided Great idea, never thought of doing that. I reckon this will help nail down the snare and give it that extra weight for sure.

(21-08-2016, 06:22 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: While the mix does sound good, it seem somewhat sterile and lacks a certain level of dirt and crunch. I found using a driving a console emulation plugin just on the edge of break up and hit it with some compression from an ask buss comp emulation and some tape saturation gave it some punch and grit without compromising clarity.

I mainly mix with reaper stock plugs so I don't have any console emulation plugins on hand. I have however got a subtle tape sat running on the master. I will have a go at adding a parallel processing chain to the mix to try and throw a bit of dirt around. As long as I can keep it sounding natural and real.

(21-08-2016, 06:22 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Overall your mix sounds good, it needs some refining.

Cheers,
Dcp

Thanks for checking out the mix and for the helpful suggestions

Dave

Sound very good to me. Sonically I have nothing to complain.

I like the drums space. I wonder if the kick is too loud or separate

Around 2.20 the guitar riff maybe should have bigger role

I like the vox effects around 3:00.

I wonder if overall the left channel is a bit heavier.
great work!

maybe vocals is too dry, the rest of the mix sounds very atmospheric, so i think the dry vox sound separated from the rest.

thats the only detail for me
(22-08-2016, 06:51 PM)Olli H Wrote: Sound very good to me. Sonically I have nothing to complain.

I like the drums space. I wonder if the kick is too loud or separate

Around 2.20 the guitar riff maybe should have bigger role

I like the vox effects around 3:00.

I wonder if overall the left channel is a bit heavier.

Thanks for your observations Olli. Listening with headphone I can hear your point with the left right balance. Hopefully I have addressed this with mix#2. I have made some extra automation moves with the guitars also.

Dave.