Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd Rather Be Drinkin"
(05-08-2016, 06:47 PM)LupoPazzo Wrote: I love how your vocal sits in the mix unlike mine which is buried in it. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the kind words LupoPazzo. Very much appreciated. Big Grin
Hey, liked the mix. Nice choice to put the tremolo on the rhythm guitar. Helps it settle in better. I may have to steal that idea! Fixing the timing issues in this song is fun to say the least. I don't like having to resort to chop-editing drum tracks because you almost can't win. Either you make a bigger mess of things than before or you end up destroying the ambience in spots by the clip/cross fades you're forced to do. Everyone seems to agree though that you did a pretty good job there. Kudos!

I only have a couple of critiques.

First, I question the panning decisions. The slide guitar is the lead and it felt kind of odd having it off to the left like that. Most here seem to be putting the distorted guitar in one channel and the mono piano track in the other. Some are using Haas delays (20-40 ms, depending on taste) and cross feeding as well.

Second, it would be nice if the slide guitar poked out a little bit more, esp during the solo and the outro solo. Maybe a 2db boost at 2.5 or 6kHz would be enough to straighten that out.

Also, I'll note that your mix is pretty narrow. The trend with just about any mix today is that people want it wide. Over-wide even (stereo imagers set at like 125-150%, frequency based effects, or a micro imager.) Dave Pensado has some interesting tricks he uses. Check out his "into the layer" videos. Personally, I'm still trying to figure out the right/best way to do that but I've had some success with delays and imagers.
Old West Audio
(02-06-2018, 02:56 PM)azwayne Wrote: Hey, liked the mix. Nice choice to put the tremolo on the rhythm guitar. Helps it settle in better. I may have to steal that idea! Fixing the timing issues in this song is fun to say the least. I don't like having to resort to chop-editing drum tracks because you almost can't win. Either you make a bigger mess of things than before or you end up destroying the ambience in spots by the clip/cross fades you're forced to do. Everyone seems to agree though that you did a pretty good job there. Kudos!

I only have a couple of critiques.

First, I question the panning decisions. The slide guitar is the lead and it felt kind of odd having it off to the left like that. Most here seem to be putting the distorted guitar in one channel and the mono piano track in the other. Some are using Haas delays (20-40 ms, depending on taste) and cross feeding as well.

Second, it would be nice if the slide guitar poked out a little bit more, esp during the solo and the outro solo. Maybe a 2db boost at 2.5 or 6kHz would be enough to straighten that out.

Also, I'll note that your mix is pretty narrow. The trend with just about any mix today is that people want it wide. Over-wide even (stereo imagers set at like 125-150%, frequency based effects, or a micro imager.) Dave Pensado has some interesting tricks he uses. Check out his "into the layer" videos. Personally, I'm still trying to figure out the right/best way to do that but I've had some success with delays and imagers.

Hey azwayne, nice to hear from you.

Yeah, my pannings are bit different with this mix, although I like how it presents. For me the dist. guitar seemed to sit happily behind the Vox without too much conflict. This then gave a place for the slide to sit and play off against the piano when it arrives in the sides. Sonically positioning the slide off to the side cleared the space for the Vox up the middle minimalising congestion. I do agree that the slide could come up through the solo to at least match the vocal level. For that matter the panning could be altered through this part also.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciated.Smile

Hi!

The balance between guitar, bass and keys is amazing, both in level and in location(panning) . Vocals sound full and are easily heard. And the drum sound fits nicely and serves the song.

Your mix is really great.

Thanks for the positive feedback fran. Very much appreciated.Big Grin