Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc - The Dice mix
All comments are wellcome! Good and bad Smile

Ty

.mp3    The dice.mp3 --  (Download: 11.61 MB)

Hey there. I'm a new member and a beginner/intermediate mixer, so take this with a grain of salt.
The whole mix seems to be suffering from a weird pumping effect that is especially affecting the guitars. It may be best to dial down the compression, especially if if it is on the mix buss as well. The reverb on the drums is a tad muddy, but they seem to be fairly consistent as far as volume and attack, so that was cool. The bass is almost indiscernible expect for being able to hear the low end, so it kind of disappears in the mix. To be fair though, this bass was hard to mix as far as getting it to cut through because it didn;t have much inherent mids or highs to begin with, so if you have any Amp sims, I suggest mixing an aggressive, bright amp tone into the bass mix. The guitars seem to be the biggest issue for me though. They have lost all the aggression and attack of their raw tracks, so perhaps that might be from too much compression and/or subtractive eq.
Overall, the mix has some tonal issues. It is very muddy (my best guess is 250hz to 650 hz), so your room---if your mixing on speakers---might be giving you some very misleading sonic information. I suggest bringing in a reference track to help you make some more reasonable mix decisions. I would suggest using Face to the Floor by Chevelle, The Neverending Sigh by The Foo Fighters, and possibly Vasoline by Stone Temple Pilots.
Sorry if that was a lot of criticism, but I think if you take another go at it, you can get this one down really good. It took me about five whole mixthroughs to get mine to sound just decent. Good luck Smile
(08-08-2016, 11:41 PM)zrmixnoob Wrote: Hey there. I'm a new member and a beginner/intermediate mixer, so take this with a grain of salt. [...]

Thanks for the feedback! I completely agree with all you said, and you were right about the room. (my mom and dad wanted to redo the room a while ago, harder floor, ceiling and wall. Made a large dip in the middle frequencies.) Again; thanks. :-)
(09-08-2016, 06:55 AM)Toterno Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 11:41 PM)zrmixnoob Wrote: Hey there. I'm a new member and a beginner/intermediate mixer, so take this with a grain of salt. [...]

Thanks for the feedback! I completely agree with all you said, and you were right about the room. (my mom and dad wanted to redo the room a while ago, harder floor, ceiling and wall. Made a large dip in the middle frequencies.) Again; thanks. :-)

Indeed. My room isn't that great either. I mix almost exclusively on headphones, which I know is not encouraged, but I've made some pretty decent mixes doing that, so that might be your best option for mixing while your in this room. Either that or mix very quietly so your room reflections aren't lying to you as they do to me so often. I'll be posting my mix of this song in a few days. Maybe once we redo ours we can compare notes.