Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions phsn mix/master (first metal song)
This one was a fun challenge. I didn't get into editing timing/pitch at all, just tried to get everything to sit nicely.

Some stuff went well, some stuff did not.

On the good side, the kick came in kind of anemic. I ran it into a dbx 120 subharmonic synthesizer for some bottom and parallel crushed that through a dbx 118 before blending back in. That worked.

The guitars I all ran through a UREI 530 EQ. That thing just sounds so freakin metal. That was good too.

The bass was so muddy and buried. Ran it in a Symetrik 501 and I think that helped some, but idk. it's still kind of meh.

Vox got some lexicon reverb and went through a tube leveling compressor. Took off 6-8 dbs at the loudest parts but it was pretty transparent.

The toms I ruined. Gated em too hard. They aren't even there. Could not figure out the toms. Failed that part.

So for my first song anywhere near this genre I'm content, but man - lots to learn, lots to learn. Tricky song. The editing would have taken a lot too. I threw in the towel before that, it's late!

.mp3    metal master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.14 MB)

Don't gate the entire tom, only gate the high end. Split each tom into two separate tracks, one high-passed at 800Hz and one low-passed at 800Hz. Gate the high-passed one with the fastest attack possible, and adjust the hold and release until you just have the stick-strike poking through. It'll sound really silly, but it'll work. Compress and EQ the hell out of the low-passed tom and blend them together. You now have toms with pretty much no cymbal bleed and you're free to process them on a bus however you please.
I tried the split the toms trick, but toms have nothing but noise or bleed above 800hz

I could try samples, but that's the easy cheat, trying to save the recording