Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its in These Times
So many elements here I wanted to clear it up a bit compared to the original mix and keep it a bit more organic while keeping that full on low end punch of the original mix. I referenced the original mix for final level so I pushed it to breaking point but I think my mix holds together a little better in terms of limiter induced artifacts than the original mix
EDIT. Decided that even though matching the original mix at -6LUFS I had avoided too much distortion it was pumping weirdly so I pulled it back to -9LUFS and adjusted a few things.
EDIT. MIX RoversAhead2 is brighter and more in line with commercial references. This is like the next day final touch-up. Now I'm doneSmile

.mp3    RoversAhead2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.72 MB)

Very interesting listening to everyones mixes. So many elements here. So much variety and very different approaches to the materialSmile
Nice work Nos, sounds like you have achieved your set out objectives. I feel your arrangement works quite well and you have the instruments popping in and out nicely complementing the mix. I like the bass mute, but for what ever reason I was mentally expecting to come back in 2 bars earlier than it did. Warming us into the start of the next verse I guess. Not sure about the reverb sound of the backing vocals. Seems to place them in a different much bigger space than the rest of the recording, alienating them a little. Nothin' major though. It's all taste at the end of the day. Great work, solid mix

Dave
Nice sounding mix sounds well balanced I like it a lot.
As Dangerous Dave already mentioned maybe the reverb on the lead and mainly the background vocals could be just touch more subtle or just needs reducing or rolling off some low frequencies somewhere below 300 or 500hz especially in the side channels would do the trick but not a big deal .
Just some thoughts while having a listen .
Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-07-2016, 01:48 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice work Nos, sounds like you have achieved your set out objectives. I feel your arrangement works quite well and you have the instruments popping in and out nicely complementing the mix. I like the bass mute, but for what ever reason I was mentally expecting to come back in 2 bars earlier than it did. Warming us into the start of the next verse I guess. Not sure about the reverb sound of the backing vocals. Seems to place them in a different much bigger space than the rest of the recording, alienating them a little. Nothin' major though. It's all taste at the end of the day. Great work, solid mix

Dave

You're right about the reverb there I was a bit slap dash with that. Oh well
(09-07-2016, 09:26 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice sounding mix sounds well balanced I like it a lot.
As Dangerous Dave already mentioned maybe the reverb on the lead and mainly the background vocals could be just touch more subtle or just needs reducing or rolling off some low frequencies somewhere below 300 or 500hz especially in the side channels would do the trick but not a big deal .
Just some thoughts while having a listen .
Well Done Big Grin

Thanks for the the feedback. was just going to reduce the reverb but I think cutting the low end of it is spot onWink
Sounds a bit distorted and very hard work to listen to if im honest
(09-07-2016, 01:26 PM)takka360 Wrote: Sounds a bit distorted and very hard work to listen to if im honest

Granted but if you think this is distorted listen to the original reference mix
Just giving my view on your mix mate .
(09-07-2016, 01:48 PM)takka360 Wrote: Just giving my view on your mix mate .

No offence taken. Grateful for the feed back just pointing out that the original mix is a lot more distorted than mine even if mine is brighter.... and arguably harsher and more fatiguingSmile