Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galias: Horizon Master
This was quite a fun practice mix and master to do. I used Sonar Pro with the 64 bit double precision floating audio engine to really exploit the transient and depth I could get into this mix. I went for general hyped punched and modern brightness with a solid absolutely kicking low end.

I use mostly Slate Digital plugins with bx_console as my main channel strip from Plugin Alliance and also the new Waves Infected Mushroom Pusher on a few of my busses just to pus it over the edge and get some insane punch and hype.

Overall I went for a denser LA type mix with bass, drum, and lead prominence while keeping the rhythm instruments pulled back but present.

Mastered with Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced and Slate VTM to give the digital soul of the song some much needed glue.

.m4a    Galias Horizon MST AAC.m4a --  (Download: 6.07 MB)

nice mix. not sure if the "hiss" is intentional at 1:57.
(08-07-2016, 04:44 AM)Aresfin Wrote: not sure if the "hiss" is intentional at 1:57.

The hiss just kind of happened. I think on one of the tracks I used Kramer HLS channel (known to be more prolific than a hissing cockroach) somewhere and didn't disable the "analogue" button. Overall it wasn't terrible, so I just left it and it added some perceived "air" to the high end (which yes, is extremely brash in this mix at some points). Common technique in EDM mixing and solo vocals (listen to Promises by Nero and any rock or pop song with solo voice performance) to leave in hiss and not the ride the fader out on it, or have it be generated somewhere.

Couple that hiss (which I now see was merely at - 100 dB on the meter) with the program dependent maximizer (Ozone 7 Advanced Maximizer) for the master level and ISP protection, that hiss was boosted to around -20 dB in some parts!

Yes, it could be just my laziness on this practice mix/master, but overall I did have intent.

Thanks for the feedback!
just listen to the mix on multimedia speakers. overall your mix is fine, balance in the right place. but Toms not impressed for me. And overall not enough heat into the mix (for my taste).