Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Trying big sound
So so trying for big and bigger.
Well far from perfect, but I think a good start.
Anyway the mix got larger and larger:
- layers of triggered snare and kick
- different setting for clean and distorted bass
- many guitars busses and settings

I didn't use double vox. I listened several versions with doubule voice all along or in choruses. My tests with double vox were killing the warmth I was looking for.
Pre-master
have fun listening
cheers

.mp3    WayOfLife 02.mp3 --  (Download: 14.08 MB)

.mp3    WayOfLife 03.mp3 --  (Download: 14.08 MB)

.mp3    WayOfLife 04.mp3 --  (Download: 14.08 MB)

"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Hello! I like your mix!
At first, amazing drums, especially kick! It reminds me Ulrich styleBig Grin
Balance is good, and sounds clean.
For me, not enough distortion on guitar tracks.
Great mix man! Thank you for your feedback as well...I appreciate it.
Really good mix! I think you should keep an eye on vocal resonances around 4350hz, it sounds a little pointy there.

Love the drum layering. I'm not really happy with the sound of my drums on that recording, but you got a decent tone out of it.

Keep it up!
I swiped through your mix with an eq and found two resonances at the vocals at 4200 and 4400hz and something sharp at 3,1ish khz. Try cutting the vocal resonances and see where the 3,1khz thing comes from and try to control it, that's all Smile
Hey Lammy,

Really nice mix, love the drum energy and tone. I need to take some Snare processing lessons from you, really nice.

I'm in complete agreement with wurstdrummer with the resonances and I think he is spot on with the freq. I feel the bottom end is a little heavy also, clouding some of the detail of the snare and guitars. I downloaded your mix and did a -4.5dB cut @ 4150hz medium Q and a broad low end shelf up to 560hz. I also removed the bass up to 100hz from the stereo difference (always helpful with heavy panned guitars). I have posted the result here for you to listen to. Although not a fix, it has made a big difference to the overall tonal balance for the better IMHO. I'm interested in your thoughts. You may want to go back into the mix and try and find the offending frequencies within the individual tracks as apposed to too much master bus processing.
Hope this helps Lammy. Great work so far.

Dave

.mp3    Lammy Mix Eq Adjust.mp3 --  (Download: 14.14 MB)

Thanks for the feedback, great community here! Smile
I'll take another round to this, starting from your cumulative analysis and "light master" from Dave, once I'm back to my reference room and equipment.
Will be happy to share all mixing details to anybody interested, may be better once the mix is more refined.
thanks again
cheers
from Switzerland
More work done.
- Got rid of the resonances in vox (as suggested)
- Adjusted the lowend balance
- some automation on the parts
- Introduced double voice to my taste
- Added master buss mb compression

Version 03 in the first post
cheers
from Switzerland
It looks more solid and dinamically! I like it!
(01-07-2016, 08:21 AM)Konek Wrote: It looks more solid and dinamically! I like it!

Thanks, sir. Appreciated.
I'm putting an end for the moment on this mix. With a version 04 in first post.
Summary of changes, without revisiting this current overall setting:
- even more control on bass
- more control on the overheads/hihat that was fatiguing the ear in my postmortem audition
- threw in m/s master buss processing and adjusted just a little the mastering
I still think it's not perfect but this now fits my big snare taste (ala Spike Stent - Muse) and the vox not buried anywhere - I hope.

Since Dave expressed interest in the snare, this is the detail:
- top and bottom sample aligned (as the rest of the drums) +22 samples on the bottom
- both top and bottom have inserted an ssl channel strip, eqed and compressed to taste. Bottom is also gated 0.4 sec -12db
- there are two triggered slate trigger samples alternating throughout. One slightly more crispy for the "non distorted" parts, and one with a little more body for the "all instruments in" parts. Maybe unnecessary but I wanted to play around.
- snare buss is eq-ed with just an high shelf 2kHz +1db, a transient designer to soften a little the snap. Finally a clean compressor.
- snare buss sends to a emt 140 plate emu, a Lexi 224 hall emu (both UAD) and a slam buss, like the rest of the drums with 1176 rev E emu all-in (so called "NY style").
- drums bass inserts a tape emu and another 1176 emu.

I'm happy to share the mix file (PT10+) but I have to warn it's done in the studio room with the "black" mac and there's lots of commercial plugins referenced, I just realised. Just ask, it will be dropboxed.
Thanks again for the previous feedbacks!
cheers

Thumbnail(s)

from Switzerland