Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Triviul: Alright?_mix by Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Great song! I love counterpoint melodies whether instruments or vocals. The challenge here was that it is the same voice doing all the vocals so that made it hard to create enough isolation where the lyrics could be distinguished well. When I first heard the song on the site where you can preview it, and it had only 16 tracks, I KNEW that there would probably be some combining. I was right and I expected it in some of the vocals and the drum mix. So, another area of challenge was making the drums sound good because it was basically a stereo drum track. THAT was fun. I think I got what I was looking for in the end. Lemmeeeeee know what'cha'll tink.

Tom

.mp3    Alright_3_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 8.17 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Hi Tom.
Lovely sounding mix as usual no real technical complaints
Well Done Big Grin
Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

SOunds good to me.

I think there’s something phasey sound in hi-hats during choruses. Nothing else to complain
I dhonnow howyaah dhid it, buht yaah dhid it!Tongue

Love the big bass tone Tom, works nicely with the vocal through that first verse. Great management and clarity throughout. I feel you have achieved the sonic image you were after.

Dave Smile
Its a prime example of how difficult it is to choose from mixes and how big a role the mix engineer actually have
I have heard some very different mixes of this one and I love most of them, yours included.
I wouldnt want to be the one who has to choose the "best" one - like the lady in the shoe shop I just want one of each Big Grin
And its no easy mix i agree with you on that
Though the raw tracks sound great just balanced as is the proces of puttin your personal stamp on it with eq and comp, and pan alone is a BIG influence choice in this one.
You made a great mix !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(28-06-2016, 07:29 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Tom.
Lovely sounding mix as usual no real technical complaints
Well Done Big Grin
Don

-------------
Yo Don,

Thanks for the props. I just feel good that my mixes are getting better....that's all I'm concerned about right now. As long as they are improving, then I'm making progress. I've noticed that your have improved too since you have been on here for a while, as myself. Let's just keep mixing!!!

Tom

(28-06-2016, 03:57 PM)Voelund Wrote: Its a prime example of how difficult it is to choose from mixes and how big a role the mix engineer actually have
I have heard some very different mixes of this one and I love most of them, yours included.
I wouldnt want to be the one who has to choose the "best" one - like the lady in the shoe shop I just want one of each Big Grin
And its no easy mix i agree with you on that
Though the raw tracks sound great just balanced as is the proces of puttin your personal stamp on it with eq and comp, and pan alone is a BIG influence choice in this one.
You made a great mix !

------------------

Voelund,

Thanks for the props....much appreciated. I absolutely LOVE your analogy to shoes....had me on the floor!!!!!!

Tom

(28-06-2016, 12:58 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I dhonnow howyaah dhid it, buht yaah dhid it!Tongue

Love the big bass tone Tom, works nicely with the vocal through that first verse. Great management and clarity throughout. I feel you have achieved the sonic image you were after.

Dave Smile

-----------------
Yo Dave,

Thanks very much for your feedback and props.....means a lot to me. Again, I suppose some guys/gals think this was an easy mix but, as you know, it was not. Lots of challenges, but also lots of fun. As I mentioned, I love those counterpoint vocals.....reminds me of Gentle Giant. Remember them???

Tom

(28-06-2016, 12:36 PM)Olli H Wrote: SOunds good to me.

I think there’s something phasey sound in hi-hats during choruses. Nothing else to complain

---------------
Ollie,

Thanks much! You have great ears. I used Sound Radix "Drum Leveler" on that drum track....was experimenting for the first time with that plugin. It does a great job but I'm finding that there are limitations on full drum mix tracks, although I just might need to work with it much more to get the most out of it. I think Mike Senior had recommended this plugin in one of his email updates he sends out. My main goal was to bring up the kick and snare and lower the hats a bit....worked but not without artifacts apparently. I think I will try a different approach next time because all of you guys got a great drum sound and probably without using that plugin.

Later.....

Tom

Nice smooth mix ,bass working nice with the drums .
Very good mix all in all Tom