Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Way hanibal mixed animal style
Had fun with this one. Let me know what you think I could have done better. Thanks

.mp3    Lead Inc - Way of Life Mastered MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 14.17 MB)

Overall sound is good to me. Kick, bass and low-distortion of guitar work nicely together.

The double vox duetto sound bothers me a little. I guess you used both vox tracks on the same level? How about turning the other down so that it would only widens a bit the main vox track, not acts as a duet.
Yeah I was going for an Alice in chains kind of sound. I took a risk here that was a bit of a stretch. Thanks for the feedback. I see a several db cut in the near future. Smile
That's actually a really nice mix. I agree with Olli on his point, but that's a matter of taste.

Brilliant overall sound and balance, great job!
Thank you kindly. I really love what y'all do. Please keep it up and keep them coming. I will remix and post when I get time.
All is generally good except snare. That snare bottom is awfully recorded. Just turn the volume down for that track and that's it. Except the snare, I like everything else! Its' perfect, I did it a bit differently, but it's a matter of taste. Big Grin Check out my remix of the song Smile Cheers!
Hey Marconi,

please tell me how to record a snare bottom the right way. We're learning with every recording session and trying to get it better every time.
Very nice.
(30-06-2016, 10:49 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: please tell me how to record a snare bottom the right way. We're learning with every recording session and trying to get it better every time.

I'm not Marconi... but:
Mike Senior has written a great post on snare tracking http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/k...techniques

The take home lessons from the article, and from studio experience are:
- snare bottom may or may not be tracked at all - your choice
- sm57 always cheap, and good for snare bottom - medium distance, 5-10 cm, depending on the genre and the drummers' hit energy
- far MORE important for the whole snare sound is to experiment with a large dia mic at some distance to the TOP SIDE of the snare, to capture the fullness of the snare sound

If I remember well, from the tracks you've published of the "Way of Life" the snare bottom track was a little too weak in preamp gain. Gain adjustment is also key.

I never went into gating the snare bottom during tracking, as Mike mentions.

Then there's perfect snare tuning.
Then there's the drummer - your job! Smile
But this is beyond snare bottom mic-ing.
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(01-07-2016, 09:29 AM)Lammy Wrote:
(30-06-2016, 10:49 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: please tell me how to record a snare bottom the right way. We're learning with every recording session and trying to get it better every time.

I'm not Marconi... but:
Mike Senior has written a great post on snare tracking http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/k...techniques

The take home lessons from the article, and from studio experience are:
- snare bottom may or may not be tracked at all - your choice
- sm57 always cheap, and good for snare bottom - medium distance, 5-10 cm, depending on the genre and the drummers' hit energy
- far MORE important for the whole snare sound is to experiment with a large dia mic at some distance to the TOP SIDE of the snare, to capture the fullness of the snare sound

If I remember well, from the tracks you've published of the "Way of Life" the snare bottom track was a little too weak in preamp gain. Gain adjustment is also key.

I never went into gating the snare bottom during tracking, as Mike mentions.

Then there's perfect snare tuning.
Then there's the drummer - your job! Smile
But this is beyond snare bottom mic-ing.
cheers
Nice sounding mix Hanibal,
Maybe a touch less double vocals.
I agree a well tuned kit and a good drummer like till is the key.
For me the room and overheads sound quality takes priority especially if I don't have much time.
Usually trying different positions with kit and mic's and trying to tame things like wooshing hi hats, Ride cymbals , ringing resonances on the snare and toms with what ever it takes like tape ,tissues, toilet paper LOL .
Sometimes have had to record a sample of close mic of the snare, toms, Kick ect , with different mic's and positions
Preferably in the same room or add other samples which usually end up doing if unable to do so but takes some work to get to sit in the mix.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts