Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alright
So, I had fun playing with this mix. I hybrid mixed using reaper and an x32. I brought the channels into the board separately, and bussed like I would live, but also had access to my VCC which was nice.

I really enjoyed this song, sculpting different sections and such.

I think i did. . . alright. . . (my monitoring is really wonky, however. I was overdriving some portion of my x32, brought the faders down and voila! I still n eed to make sure I'm not clipping on anyone's systems).

Cheers!

Draper

.mp3    alright.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

Hey Draper,

I like your alternative mix. works well. You've done a nice job of this one.
Dave
Intersting approach to material. You managed too keep the focus point clear all through the song.

I like the effect weher the telephone gradually opens. Maybe I wouldn’t like it if I were the artist…

Maybe the main vox could be in center in choruse

I wonder if the top end is a bit harsh or too loud now.

And low end maybe could be couple dbs louder. Sound as such is ok, but I feel the balance between low mid and low is not optimal yet.
Thanks guys!

I'll get back in and do a little eq on the master, as I only had the X32 for the night, so I can't remix from the board again. Luckily, all my automation was in Reaper so I would just have to re-balance and add a couple verb auxes in Reaper to remake a mix. I'll try touching the master first.

Thanks for the comments!

Draper
Update!

.mp3    alright low end up.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

(27-06-2016, 05:34 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Update!

-----------------
Hi....someone else mentioned about the phone effect that the artist might not like it, but I think it's highly creative, unexpected, and really enhances the power and the subject matter of the song's lyrics. I love the kick sound and the drums overall. The only thing I cannot hear too well is the bass.....seems a bit lost somehow....can't really explain how....maybe not defined enough? But, that might just be a matter of taste. Great job overall I think!!

Later....

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Brought the bass up, I hope it isn't too much now. . . .

Draper

.mp3    alright low end up bass up.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

Hi Draper ,
Love your creative ideas.
listening to your first and latest mix, I like the top end smack of the snare in the first mix and a touch less top end on the vocals.
Nice one
Don Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hah -- that's inspired! Love what you've done here loweche6. It's bold, no question -- but I like bold! It's one of those classic cases where it completely wrong-footed me to begin with, and I wasn't sure about how I felt, but by the time you hit the second verse it all started to make sense. The telephone vox makes the differentiation between the three sets of vocals better, and then the massive drop for the third verse not only leaves room to appreciate the pizzicato programming, but also gives so much more of a kick into the final chorus. I don't often listen to a mix of one of my songs twice, but couldn't help give this one a repeat listen. Fantastic work! Can't comment on the sonics much technically, because I'm listening on my little PC speakers, but it seems pretty clear and upfront to me, which in general appeals.

Only one thought -- could you make more of the strings in the final chorus? I realise the programming is a little ropey, but I think it could probably tolerate a bit more level without giving the game away too much.
(28-06-2016, 04:55 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Brought the bass up, I hope it isn't too much now. . . .

what would make a difference in the bass is avoiding stereo, and instead balancing the power equally between two boxes in mono. you could then drive the mix much harder in the low end without the speakers breaking out in a sweat. i'd personally mono down from 200Hz, into full mono at 100Hz - generally. if you want some bass weirdness, try working it in the higher part of the spectrum out of the way of the low mids, it gives more options like creating some movement. i wouldn't advise feeding anything below 100Hz into your stereo verb, eh? if you wanted a sense of depth on the sub 100Hz bass....it's better to keep the verb mono.

on the subject of verbs, there's some obvious congestion stacking up in many places; if you focus your ears to search for it's issues, i'm sure you'll spot it too. EQ or duck it, or both....or leave it as a creative or taste thangg. woteva.

i was pleased to hear you didn't amp-up the loudness war which proliferates on the forum....and went gently on the master buss. the mix suggests some evidence of fairly heavy downward compression though, i'll assume it was applied intentionally for "creative" purposes? Wink

i found the LV's slightly off centre placement towards the left a distraction in the cans (eg 0:40'ish, i'm sometimes a victim of conditioning and expectations! lol), but i loved your no-holds-barred approach elsewhere. Look out Flaming Lips, i say! Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!