Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mmix
Soo many great tracks to choose from.. Big Grin

.mp3    manly.mp3 --  (Download: 5.41 MB)

Made the drums wider, cut some bass and added delay to some parts.

.mp3    manly2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.47 MB)

You should do away with the delay on the guitar as its not contributing anything to the mix whatsoever.Also i think the piano has too much verb and the mix is very bass heavy
more so than the last mix to my ears and i also think the vocal is way too loud.
You also need to bring the room or overheads down because the hats and ride at times are louder than the vocals.
This is a common mistake in mixing that needs full attention,i am still guilty of this myself but its very important in mixing.
Check out the conversation between me and Nashville Engineer regarding his remember December mix,he
done the same thing so there is a great example of what im talking about.
Thx for listening and comments. I kinda wanted the drums and bass to carry the track, unfortunately it became too static and not very interersting.. Gonna start over with a new focus and put some more attention into details.
Attention into details is THE KEY,there is no rush just take your time untill its right.
It gets frustrating people keep ripping your mixes apart i know that feeling but i pays
off slowly in the end.It takes years to become a great mixer.
Alot of it is also great monitoring as not many of us have tuned rooms we turn to headphones.
On that topic i would say buy the best phones you can afford as they can make a big differance
in detail we hear then just check your mix on other speakers like hifi,laptop even the tv i do sometimes.
Ok, so I made a radio mix, loud an' proud Big Grin

Have the guitars ducking to the vocals, think it turned out quite well.

.mp3    manly3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.48 MB)

I think your problem is you are using far too much room mic and it making the bottom end boom and boxy.
Sorry to say it yet again but you really need to get that sorted as its killing your mixes.
I have a feeling its down to whatever you are using as monitors.
Its sort of like someone smashing your ears when you listen to it.
Forced,all too loud over comped just everything really.
I know i sound very harsh but there is no point in beating around the bush
or you wont learn.Do this and suprise yourself.Mix this track and use no comp at all
on anything and if you wish to do so put a a limiter on the master,not smashing it
Then see how happy you will be with the outcome,YOU TRY IT.
I know its gutting having your mixes ripped apart but its all part of it and it
we all get that.

No, thats great hearing, appreciate you being honest! There's almost no room mic so I think its mostly due to bad bass mixing, does it sound closed in? What if you eq it on your system, does it open up?There's a lot of compression on the drums also.

Gonna take a break from this one for a while, getting a little sick of it. I've started "come around" coz that's one really good tune, check it out in some days and see if you hear the same problem..

thx
Its hard i know but you will get thereWink Why dont this seem to sound as bad as i remember it yesterday