Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new attempt
Ok, here I am a few weeks after my first try. I've been learning new things after that so I think that this time the mix will be better... or at least that's what I think!

But considering that I'm still a rookie in these matters, there are a few things I would like to know in order to make sure that I'm going on the right direction:

1.- are the kick and the bass ok this time? this is still quite hard for me to achieve a good sound

2.- I've been using a blend delay on the guitars. Is it too obvious?

3.- On the lead voice I've been using spread and tone reveerbs, and also a delay. Do they sound ok or should I make them less noticeable?

4.- when the lead and backing tracks are singing together, does it sound "noisy"?

Any other comment or suggestion will be welcomed! Thank you for your time!

.mp3    come around.mp3 --  (Download: 4.05 MB)

Hi mate

The bass is overpowering the mix and is masking much of what is happening in the low mids with the guitars and also preventing the kick from really coming through.
Listening through the bass the rest of the song sounds like it could be well balanced. It will be easier to tell once this has been lowered in level. (Bass is one of the trickiest instruments to get right in these mixes I am finding)

Check your volume for the lead vocals. They are much quieter than the "oooh aaaaah" fillers later on at 2:57 or so, but stay up in volume from then on until he last "come and go" part when they become very quiet.

Oh, on a more technical aspect, you have 12 or so seconds of silence at the start of the track and 6 seconds at the end that can be removed by setting your start and end locators with a bit more precision.

I'll keep an eye out for a second version with level adjustments for bass and vocals.
Don't be discouraged!! Smile
It seems you have most of the mix in hand, and its only these little tweaks to the volume of a couple of elements that need to be sorted out......it will be easier to hear the rest of the mix once the bass has been brought down in level.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Well, here it is again with the changes. The lead voice part seemed easier to fix with some automation but the bass is still giving me headaches hehehe!!!

Let's hope that it's now at the right volume so the middle tones are more audible than before.

Maybe it's silly to say so, but I could never imagine how difficult mixing a song can be!! but I'm quite stubborn and I'm sure that one day I will be able to end up with something decent Rolleyes

.mp3    come around-001.mp3 --  (Download: 3.8 MB)

The guitar right pan could come down a fair bit and go a bit more easy on the delay on the vocals.Maybe the kick could come down a tad but the bass is alot better so well done there.
I found out that my headphones don't play the low end properly and that's why eventually in the mix the bass and kick sounded so "aggressive". So... I must monitor my songs with new headphones or better speakers in order to end up with a better mix!

You guys made me notice that, and it's good in order to keep progressing! thanks!!
Nice job on the redo.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
thank you!!!