Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the travelling band - Quicksand
Here's my mix. I had this idea of making the intro sound like an old vinyl record in order to make a bigger contrast with the rest of the song.

As usual, comments and advice for improvement will be welcomed!

.mp3    The Travelling Band - Quicksand.mp3 --  (Download: 5.94 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Vinyl scratcehs suit fine to the beginning

Overall beat rolls nicely. Balances just fine to my ears.

Good solo sound

VOx has a smoggy veil in front of it. Listen 0.50. On the other hand it can be a nice thing, but at first it disturbed me a bit as some sort of hollowness.
Yes, you're right Olli. That was something that I was not too happy with.

I've tried to change the reverb/delay settings I was using and I think the vocal is more clear now not only during those moments without instruments, but also throughout the whole song.

thank you for your suggestion!!

.mp3    The Travelling Band - Quicksand(2).mp3 --  (Download: 5.94 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Nice sounding mix Juan,I like the intro ,the vocal effects in version 2 sound better.
The vocals sound a little hollow around 500-1k area and could be competing with one of the electric guitars in that area.
Just a guess maybe a parametric dip in that area may do the trick Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounding great through headphones Juan. I can agree with the issue with the vocal though. Sounds like a small room or a close wall reflected reverb thats a bit strong. It certainly brings the vocal forward in the mix, which a little bit of can be a good thing. Have you tried backing it down a couple of dBs (keeping the predelay small <4ms) and mixing it with a larger softer reverb. Just a thought. That's if it's in deed the cause of the problem.

Dave.
I think the problem was with the third electric guitar, so I think that now it doesn't bury the vocal.

I've also changed a little bit more the delay with the reverb so it's less obvious.

Thank you guys for your help! now it's time to move on to another song! Smile

.mp3    The Travelling Band - Quicksand(3).mp3 --  (Download: 5.94 MB)

mixing since April 2013
The Guitar isn't masking the vocals anymore Big Grin
Looking forward to your next song Smile

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts