Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pony 2 Hour Mix
Another 2 hour mix i just completed. I have got to say though i dont feel like this was recorded well at all so i did replace the kick and the snare, i used amplitube on the bass and sansamp on the guitars. I spent most of my time on the instrumental mix and had about 10 minutes left to get the vocals in. I felt like it should have kinda a Mudvayne feel so thats what i went for. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    Pony Final Mix 6-16-2016.mp3 --  (Download: 9.27 MB)

I'm about to dive in on this mix myself. I just set up the session, haven't even really analyzed the tracks yet. I'm here to check out the song mixed and see what do.

The first thing I hear in your mix is a TON of 3.5k-4k in the guitars. There's just a super distracting fizz throughout the guitars, especially in the chuggy stuff. I feel like there's also a bit too much low end. I think what happened was you mixed the low end up then had to turn the low end up on the bass and it just turned into a pissing contest on the low end. Guitar is a midrange instrument. This is probably just preference, but I feel like you should definitely high pass guitars to carve out space for the bass. You don't have to bring the mids up necessarily, because if you scoop the mids from the bass track you'll have the sonic space you need. Same with the high end. These guitars could use a pretty aggressive low pass. Probably all the way to 10k or 8k. There's just a lot of content there that I feel like you boosted beyond means.

I think if you made those changes in the guitars and bass, it'd clear up a lot of nonsense that's covering up the beauty of the drums. And I have to say, the kick and snare do sound good! I just wish they weren't hidden. It doesn't seem to be a level problem as much as a frequency problem.