Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Devil's Words - my personal attempt
I've downloaded and mixed down this track couple days ago, and I think it's a great track and I personally love the contrast her voice generates with the music. It makes sometimes difficult to sit vocals in the mix but it's so cool to hear.
However here's my version of the song. Big Grin

.mp3    DevilsWords2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.53 MB)

Solid mix monitore, the balance is spot on and sounds quite clear. My only real concern is the the snare, it sounds pretty punchy for the most part but it tends to get hollow sounding (most notably in the second verse). I would recommend using a sample snare and working with that or blending it with the original snare track. Otherwise your mix sounds really solid (using some saturation to dirty it up alittle would also be an idea) great work.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thank you so much for the comment, and now that I have listened again to the track I agree with the snare sounding a little "behind the scenes" sometimes. Actually the snare is already a sample, blended with the original sound (which is very poor sounding), but I could have made it more "snappy". I was afraid to give the drums a too much aggressive sound, and so I didn't put too much presence on the snare and the kick. Same thing for the saturation. I applied a Tape Saturation plugin on the master section, before final comp/limit, but just for amalgamizing the tracks and give it a kind of a little analog-sound. I just didn't want to set the distortion level much high, to preserve the cleaniness of the voice and keep the final master punchy but delicate.

However really appreciated compliments, thank you!