Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benjamin John - Better Way (British Class A mix & master)
Took 2hrs out the day to try this song with Softube's new British Class A addition for the Console 1, which is a Neve console emu. I've always been an SSL guy, but with the power of digital emulation, I am in heaven with the ability to pick the board sound I feel works for each song.

24-bit 44.1 reference version
https://s3.amazonaws.com/xqr/Better+Way.wav

.mp3    Better Way.mp3 --  (Download: 4.87 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Hello DDL

*snare gets masked a lot by the rest of the mix.
*bass sounds too compressed
*solo guitars is thin sounding.

That's about it. Everything else is great.
Balance is good, vocal treatment is good . reverb work is good.
Thanks Shul.. I was taught a long time ago to always trust the "feel" in a mix.. Does it get your head moving to the rhythm.. Once I get that while mixing (the feel) I generally stop tampering at that point..
(02-06-2016, 11:26 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Thanks Shul.. I was taught a long time ago to always trust the "feel" in a mix.. Does it get your head moving to the rhythm.. Once I get that while mixing (the feel) I generally stop tampering at that point..

That's the best way to mix my friend Smile I do that too.. But after a while I listen for technical details just to see what I missed.

Like I said this sounds pretty good. And I think you captured the feel of the song. I personally liked what I heard. But since I listened with more technical ears that's why I commented on that.

Saludos!
(03-06-2016, 05:27 PM)Shul Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 11:26 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Thanks Shul.. I was taught a long time ago to always trust the "feel" in a mix.. Does it get your head moving to the rhythm.. Once I get that while mixing (the feel) I generally stop tampering at that point..

That's the best way to mix my friend Smile I do that too.. But after a while I listen for technical details just to see what I missed.

Like I said this sounds pretty good. And I think you captured the feel of song. I personally liked what I heard. But since I listened with more technical ears that's why I commented on that.

Saludos!

Your comments are always constructive, appreciated and respected..
This mix and song made me smile. like was said before the snare does get lost but i can live with that and maybe the vocals could come up a db or two, great mix
(07-06-2016, 09:46 AM)mixingdrummer Wrote: This mix and song made me smile. like was said before the snare does get lost but i can live with that and maybe the vocals could come up a db or two, great mix

Thanks.. The hand percussion tracks are plentiful (in contrast to the snare track) and work very well in this song. This is the first print and of course, subtle adjustments can be made in recalls easily Smile