Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LeadInc: Way of Life - mix
hello,

here is my mix of "Way of Life". Let me know what you like or not about it. The hardest thing for me was mixing the vocals, so i decided to use just one track.

here's the latest version

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...3#pid47873
I like this natural sound that you’ve greated. Great balances to my ears.

If you want to develop this mix more, maybe you could create a bit more movement between verses prechoruses and choruses. Now the enrgy change is not that big although there comes in double guitars etc. The energy level feels a bit too static now. Listen for example moments 1:50 and 2:08. Around those moment there could happen more
thank you for your feedback olli. i finished the mix now, maybe you could listen to it again?

.mp3    Way of life mix 1.6a.mp3 --  (Download: 14.2 MB)

(01-06-2016, 09:19 PM)Topee Wrote: hello,

here is my mix of "Way of Life". I'm using StudioOne with its internal plugins for mixing. Let me know what you like or not, so i can get better at mixing. The hardest thing for me was mixing the vocals, so i decided to use just one track.

This is a heck of good start on Studio One, which is an excellent workstation. Members here will be helpful in pointing out things in your mixes like having extra set of ears. Every mixing engineer listen to a lot of reference music (CDs, DSD etc). This is important to listen to new and old music, and lots of it because your ear becomes tuned to the sound you like and when you mix, some of that translate to your mixing decisions. It sounds like you're already making mixing decisions based on music listening observations as it's clear you didn't start mixing yesterday.

YouTube is a great resource to see demonstrations and get pointers on how to handle vocals according to the mixing style you're focused on. Most common plugin to use to control your vocal mixing (to start with) I would recommend any LA2A and 1176 leveler plugin emus on your vocal buss. In time you will develop your own methods and tricks but you can begin with these 2 plugin emus to help you get started now, then you will develop out into other techniques..

The steps from here is simple: keep mixing the songs you find here, and keep listening to CD or high rez reference music.

You've already tackled the hardest part for most mixers heading out and thats a strong level..

Years ago I met Isaac Hayes (RIP) and as an eager kid I asked him "what advice do you have for me to get better at playing piano" and he told me "well, it's simple, play every chance you get, just play, play, and keep playing.. and in 10 years, you'll be able to play anything by ear".

In that vein, I'll say, by the 200th song you mix, you'll be where you want to be.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Nice clean mix Smile
(09-06-2016, 05:08 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Nice clean mix Smile

Thanks, but still have things to fix. There are some parts in the vocaltrack for example which need a little automation
--