Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc - The Dice
Here's my mix. I'd appreciate any help or suggestiones to improve it! Smile

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice.mp3 --  (Download: 13.95 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Hi Juan,
Sorry I missed your mix !
Sounds well balanced ,this is one I have to remix after a little more practice .
Listening to your mix missing a little bottom end on the bass and punch on the kick Maybe the electric guitars are overpowering the bass as sound a touch upfront around mainly around 270hz and 400hz and 2-4karea .
Good Job.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

thank you, Don! When I posted the mix, I was not too happy with it because there was something wrong with it and I didn't know what it was. I hadn't listened to the mix after that day, and now by reading your comments, I think this is what I didn't like and maybe my ears just had gotten used to the sound and it was so difficult for me to spot the problem.

Here's the updated mix

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice(2).mp3 --  (Download: 13.95 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I think Don is spot on with his assessment. Your second mix has more low end in it, but now I think the bass needs something on it. It feels a little "floppy." A multband compressor did wonders for mine, in my opinion.

Your background vox parts sound cool, but they feel completely disconnected from the song.

I think maybe you could get a little low mids into your snare as well.

Maybe some long term automation should be used as well. All of the sections seems to have a similar energy. I did a lot of rides on the guitar parts to try and create some movement between sections.

You're pretty damn close, just some things that I heard in your mix. I like how you got her voice sounding!

Draper
Also, reference Tool's album 10,000 days for similar subject material!
Version 2 sounds much better, I agree with draper about the bass ,maybe there is too much sub below 40hz or the kick and bass are clashing around 50hz and below.
A touch more bottom end on the snare and maybe a touch less papery sound at around 1200hz area.
with the background vocals maybe play around with the panning as can hear the male lower tones in the side channels and not much upper range of the female vocals in stereo and almost not there in mono.
I found this awesome free plugin for easy checking mid and side channels (I think I'm using V1.1 VST 32bit DLL Zipped for reaper)

Cheers Big Grin
http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index.php/downloads

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

thank you Draper and Don! I'll check it out and post a new version of the mix in the next days! I'll listen to that reference material Draper told me and then I'll get back to the mix! Smile
mixing since April 2013
here's the new version with those issues you mentioned improved (in my opinion). The main problem with the backvocals was the reverb which didn't fit the song at all.

I've also checked the bass, kick and snare.

I hope it's better now Big Grin

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice(3).mp3 --  (Download: 13.95 MB)

mixing since April 2013
(19-06-2016, 06:50 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: here's the new version with those issues you mentioned improved (in my opinion). The main problem with the backvocals was the reverb which didn't fit the song at all.

I've also checked the bass, kick and snare.

I hope it's better now Big Grin

hello juan Smile

did you replace the snaresound in this track? to me it sounds like this, and is something i was thinking about, too. i decide not doing this cause it would change the sound of the complete drumset and song. are you satisfied with the stereo image of the guitars?
--
No, I just changed the snare's EQ. I added more around 200hz to make it sound fatter and also used a different EQ plugin that helped me achieve a better sound than before.
mixing since April 2013