Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollow Ground - Ill Fate
Did a mix on the multitrack that was on here and I was pretty OK with the result, if you guys have any opinions or tips I would happily read it!

I used Lepou plugins for the guitars, TSE-Audio's TSE 808 for distortion on guitars and the vocals, addictive drums for the kick and Limiter6 for the master

.mp3    ILL_FATE_001.mp3 --  (Download: 4.8 MB)

So i listened to your mix 2 or 3 times and it has some good but also some bad sides.

First the good things of your mix:
- It's overall a well balanced mix
- The Vocals have a good amount of distortion
- Your Bass guitar really sits nicely in the mix

Bad things of the mix:
- High End is missing in the Mix (Kick and Snare need more Highs and a bit compression to be present and punchy)
- Overheads also need a bit compression and should be a bit louder.
- Vocals also need a bit more Highs but you should be carefull so they won't get harsh
- Guitars have a bit to much mids
- And you should revise the Delay of the Vocals because they don't have a good timing. It's really important that the Delay goes exactly with the music so your mix gets more depth and that's one really important point that many people seem to ignore.
I hope this Feedback brings you to the next level.
Good Luck with your mixings!
Thank you so much for the tips! This is exactly the kind of criticism I've been looking for when I've mixed stuff (especially the drum stuff which I'm more or less new at). I'll keep at it tomorrow and see if I can do it better!

Very appreciated man Smile
Here's an update on the mix with your tips in mind! I also sat for a while and scratched my head about the bouncing process in Cubase 8.5, the sound doesn't seem to be the same as in the DAW even when you bounce it as wave, a lot of the higher frequencies are just muffled. That's the case with the mix I put up earlier as well, I listened to both the DAW and the Wave side by side and it's a pretty big difference. I just solved it lazily by putting about +3 dB extra on the higher frequencies in an EQ before the limiter and that solved most of it. It's weird that I never had this problem in Cubase 5, recently upgraded to 8.5

.mp3    ILL_FATE_002.mp3 --  (Download: 3.58 MB)

Hi, I listened to your new track now and there's a little problem with the high mids. I think if you lower the frequencies from 2 to 3 khz it would sound a bit smoother. Give it a trySmile
New version now, took your advice in mind as I had to redo the EQ a bit again after a Cubase reinstall which solved the weird export problems that I had. Also managed to push the loudness up a bit more with the limiter6 Smile Thanks for all the advice man!

.mp3    ILL_FATE_003-01.mp3 --  (Download: 2.4 MB)