Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Hippie-Folk mix
Here's my take on this fresh and honest sounding track ...

I tried to keep an live, organic happy-hippie feel, especially with the ambience treatment to Vox and instruments (reminiscent of mid-60s and early 70s folk-pop songs).

As usual, comments and critiques welcome Wink

Cheers,

Clinton

.mp3    The_Wind_mstRMcmp.mp3 --  (Download: 4.24 MB)

Oh yes.
I like your wide vocal ambience in this mix from the moment it starts. Good choice.

The bass is getting a little lost, but it is still mostly audible, and probably does create a more authentic folky vibe with it not being so prominent in the mix.
I would like to hear that lovely funk guitar scratch up in the mix a little more though Smile (around 2:17 is where it really kicks in)

Good job Clinton

Peace, love and mungbeans Big Grin

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Thanks for the feedback Dags

Wink
Hi Clinton

Not realy much so say as also having an attempt of this mix.

It's a realy nice sounding mix and definatly will using it with other mixes as a guide if thats ok.

Thanks
Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey Don,

Thanks for your feedback!
...and yes, please use it as a starting point and see where else you can take this track
Looking forward to hearing it Wink

Cheers,

Clinton
I feel the overall balance in this mix is pretty good. All the important elements are quite nicely audible. The LV ambience feel little trippy though.

Might be more a matter of opinion but I feel there's too much (and too compressed) snare bottom compare to snare top, which for me feels little off. But that might be because I usually use the top mic as the main snare source and the bottom adds a certain kind of flavour.

I feel that biggest issue in this mix (technic-wise) is the lead vocal's mid frequencies pumping the bus compressor. The whole mix ducks down whenever there's eehs and aahs from the LV. I'd suggest taming those ~800 Hz frequencies with some dynamic EQs to keep the mix consistent.
(12-05-2013, 07:49 PM)Spede Wrote: I feel that biggest issue in this mix (technic-wise) is the lead vocal's mid frequencies pumping the bus compressor. The whole mix ducks down whenever there's eehs and aahs from the LV. I'd suggest taming those ~800 Hz frequencies with some dynamic EQs to keep the mix consistent.

Hi Spede,

Thanks for your comments. I will check the stereo bus compressor settings as I dont recall any GR over 2dB or so, and definitely nothing to induce pumping... at least to my ears! I'll re-check the multiband compressor settings too while I am at it.

Thanks for pricking up my ears Wink

Cheers,

Clinton

Love how you've got the kick drum filling out the bottom end, really suits the track.
(27-05-2013, 03:27 PM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Love how you've got the kick drum filling out the bottom end, really suits the track.

Thanks for taking time to comment Smile

Cheers