Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Better Way - A Fresh Approach
A great song by a talented artist. The number of hand clap, finger pop and vocal tracks seemed daunting at first, but in reality there was nothing extraneous about them. That fact elevated my respect for the artist. These tracks added subtle complexities to this song and made it very interesting and fun to mix. Too bad the radio intro on the published release was not included. I would have had fun with that.

Finding good space and good rhythmic sense for all the percussion was also a challenge. When an artist puts that much work into hand claps and finger pops, you can be pretty certain they had a good reason for it. Listening to other songs by this artist I found a common thread of the chunky rhythm guitar and made sure it was prominent enough to work well with the percussion which held the bounce together as well as a melodic counter point at times.

Some very tasty use of slide guitar throughout and inventive harmonies which added their own subtleties.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my take on Better Way

9-24-2016,

A rethink around the drums and vocals.

Better Way - Fresh Approach
9/28/2017

I have never been satisfied with the many mixes I tried of this piece. Most who have attempted this song will understand why. Lots of competing parts each with their own level of complexity. Just not an easy piece to mix. I do not often get into a cycle of having to reconfigure gain stages during mixes, but this one creeps up on you. Differentiating between parts which add texture and parts which carry focus and melody intertwine in the song. This makes it difficult to automate properly. Add some not great recorded parts and over-bearing sibilance and low mid grunge just adds to the difficulties when trying to maintain roundness without harshness. Challenges definitely abound in this one. So here is my latest foray into the wilderness on this.

If anyone is still listening or posting to this song, I'd love to get your feedback.

Happy listening.

MITC.

.mp3    Benjamin John - Better Way - 6-24-2016.mp3 --  (Download: 4.84 MB)

.mp3    Benjamin John - Better Way.mp3 --  (Download: 4.84 MB)

.mp3    Benjamin John - Better Way - Fresh Approach.mp3 --  (Download: 4.83 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hello

*Snare is lost in the mix. I would have liked to hear it more
*Vox has a weird fx and I can't put my finger on what it is.. perhaps the reverb work you are using? it sounds airy to me.
*I would use a bit less reverb overall.. but that's just a taste thing.

Everything else is good Smile
(29-05-2016, 08:18 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

*Snare is lost in the mix. I would have liked to hear it more
*Vox has a weird fx and I can't put my finger on what it is.. perhaps the reverb work you are using? it sounds airy to me.
*I would use a bit less reverb overall.. but that's just a taste thing.

Everything else is good Smile

Shul,
Thanks for your input.

The reverb was specifically airy and couched in an slightly "high school" vibe. The acoustics were placed in the same space. The snare was diminished as well but is something I could revisit.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]