Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix needing Mastering
Gentlemen,

Anyone out there want to take a go at mastering this mix?

Mixed to K20 with lots of dynamic range and 5db or so of peak headroom.

Decided to focus on Mixing for two big reasons. First I have lots to learn here and second I don't have the gear-software or hardware- to do a decent job Mastering.

I agree with the concept of two sets of ears also--has to be better than one.

I am spending a lot of time learning and I would like to incorporate what the mix needs to be in order to make a great Master. figured I might as well learn this now rather than later.

If anyone is interested i can render a 64bit wave file and upload it to my dropbox so you have a better place to start.

Just pm me with your email address and I will share the folder with you.

any feedback would be great!

I read some other posts where some people said that in order to get feedback one must give feedback. I promise I will do so once I have the knowledge and experience to share with others which right now I don't.

Mike

.mp3    TheLongWait-K20_Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.53 MB)

Hi Mike,
Your mix sounds pretty well balanced.
I'm Not a mixing or mastering expert ,just a music lover fascinated how the pro's get that polished sound.
listening to your mix ,can hear some technical things that could be fixed before mastering.
A little more work with the balance of the bass and kick as the kick has a lot of punch but maybe overpowering the bass.
Maybe reduce the fret frequencies of the bass guitar 2-3 k as unable to reduce in master without affecting the vocals eq.
The vocals can hear some resonating frequencies poking out just a touch around 1.5k and 2-3k and 4.2k which may need taming with a dynamic eq and also some de-essing around the 6-8k area.
The snare sounds upfront in the 2-3k area clashing with the vocals .
A snare sample to add some top end splash and tail would sound cool.
Some plucking of the guitar strings may need some taming with a dynamic eq.
Here is a Quick not really a master of your mix attempting to tame the things mentioned.

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    TheLongwaitK20M..mp3 --  (Download: 9.64 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(27-05-2016, 10:35 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Mike,
Your mix sounds pretty well balanced.
I'm Not a mixing or mastering expert ,just a music lover fascinated how the pro's get that polished sound.
listening to your mix ,can hear some technical things that could be fixed before mastering.
A little more work with the balance of the bass and kick as the kick has a lot of punch but maybe overpowering the bass.
Maybe reduce the fret frequencies of the bass guitar 2-3 k as unable to reduce in master without affecting the vocals eq.
The vocals can hear some resonating frequencies poking out just a touch around 1.5k and 2-3k and 4.2k which may need taming with a dynamic eq and also some de-essing around the 6-8k area.
The snare sounds upfront in the 2-3k area clashing with the vocals .
A snare sample to add some top end splash and tail would sound cool.
Some plucking of the guitar strings may need some taming with a dynamic eq.
Here is a Quick not really a master of your mix attempting to tame the things mentioned.

Cheers Big Grin
Don,

Sorry it took so long to answer. We were in the grips of flooding here in our neighborhood and I just got power and internet back.

I will do some more work on this to address the things you mentioned. Your Master sounds nice.

the vocals really have a lot of siblaance in the tracking. Already have a dynamic eq and a de esser on the tracks but will try to reduce it some more--if I can without losing all the air.

Will try a different reverb on the snare also to get some more tail.

Just can't seem to help myself on the kick. seems it is always a little strong--especially when i listen to some compares--probably because I don't have a sub on my near fields--on the wish list.

Anyhow thanks for responding. I will have a go and post the revised mix today or tomorrow.

thanks again for your time.

Mike
Don,

Here tis.

I think I did everything but the siblance on the vocals. I was already hammering it pretty hard and decided best to live with what is left rather than lose all the air in the vocals.

My system is kind of a hybrid--some summing in the box and some analog--thru my mixer. I ride the faders and such on the analog side so I don't need as much compression so each mix is a tad different. Nothing but free plug ins so I try to use them sparingly.

also took a tad off the reverb on the master fader-analog--to try to clean it up a bit.

Have a go if you have time and let me have any more comments or suggestions you may have.

Mike

.mp3    TheLongWait-K20_Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.53 MB)

(26-05-2016, 09:08 PM)sonicenergystudio Wrote: Gentlemen,

Decided to focus on Mixing for two big reasons. First I have lots to learn here and second I don't have the gear-software or hardware- to do a decent job Mastering.

I am spending a lot of time learning and I would like to incorporate what the mix needs to be in order to make a great Master. figured I might as well learn this now rather than later.

If anyone is interested i can render a 64bit wave file and upload it to my dropbox so you have a better place to start.

I read some other posts where some people said that in order to get feedback one must give feedback. I promise I will do so once I have the knowledge and experience to share with others which right now I don't.

Mike

I have gotten a go on this, mastering mostly done outboard.

.mp3    23-160623_1303.mp3 --  (Download: 9.24 MB)

(23-06-2016, 12:11 PM)cube3 Wrote: [quote='sonicenergystudio' pid='47376' dateline='1464293287']
Gentlemen,

Mike

I have gotten a go on this, mastering mostly done outboard.
[/quote

thanks Cube for taking the time to Master this. Man It sounds great. Seems I need to back off on the reverb and delay on the lead vocals a tad and maybe on the snare also.

Thanks again.

Mike

I didn't use the double track, but if i had, I would have sat one below the other as a subtle thickener, rather than the 2 takes at equalise volume you've used here. The snare sounds kind of gritty, like it's been filtered too much or something. There is good general balance in terms of volume, just that perhaps you've been a bit heavy handed with EQ, maybe?