Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much
Don't hear this style too much any more Sad

.mp3    Much Too Much.mp3 --  (Download: 4.04 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hiya mate.

This is a very tricky song to mix so well done on taking the plunge! Smile

At the moment the mix seems to have a lot of low-mid 'murk' which is making the song sound a little muddy instead of bright and ....well.... 'brassy'.
One simple fix is to use the high pass filter in your EQ to remove everything below 100Hz or even higher up if the instrument doesn't have any useful information there.
Do this for the reverb as well - using a shelving EQ to reduce everything below 200Hz by 12dB or so will clean the mix up and keep the low end available for bass and kick and trombones. At the moment the walking bass is getting a little lost in places - opening up some space for it by removing the murk from other instruments will hopefully help.

Aside from that, everything is there (including that damned ride cymbal which is in every channel!) and seems to be pretty well balanced.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(09-05-2013, 12:38 AM)Dags Wrote: Hiya mate.

This is a very tricky song to mix so well done on taking the plunge! Smile

At the moment the mix seems to have a lot of low-mid 'murk' which is making the song sound a little muddy instead of bright and ....well.... 'brassy'.
One simple fix is to use the high pass filter in your EQ to remove everything below 100Hz or even higher up if the instrument doesn't have any useful information there.
Do this for the reverb as well - using a shelving EQ to reduce everything below 200Hz by 12dB or so will clean the mix up and keep the low end available for bass and kick and trombones. At the moment the walking bass is getting a little lost in places - opening up some space for it by removing the murk from other instruments will hopefully help.

Aside from that, everything is there (including that damned ride cymbal which is in every channel!) and seems to be pretty well balanced.

Dags

Thanks for giving it a listen and for the comments.
Hi

well done for a tricky mix !

good overall balance.
sounds a little over compressed.

good work.

Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Here's my attempt at removing the lower mid "MURK".

.mp3    Much Too Much.mp3 --  (Download: 4.04 MB)

Murk de-murked! Big Grin

In the big brass section starting at around 1:05 the walking bass line is more audible than in the previous version.

Nicely done!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(09-05-2013, 04:28 PM)Dags Wrote: Murk de-murked! Big Grin

In the big brass section starting at around 1:05 the walking bass line is more audible than in the previous version.

Nicely done!

Dags

Thanks.
I just mixed this one myself and found the low cuts essential myself. version 2 has much better definition in the bass.. very good work there. I'm also liking the overall balance, especially the automation I'm hearing in the piano and solo sections, where I still have a lot of learning to do. really, a very good mix. only criticism is that the dynamic range is a bit too crushed for me, but that's just my taste. really good job, I'm gonna reference your automations to try an tighten mine up.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!