Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way of Life- Draper Mix
Here is about 3 hours of work.

Hard to deal with the snare, but I think i was able to tame the cymbal bleed and get a thicker sound with a sample addition.

Did my standard mono guitar trick where I send my panned distorted guitars, make them center and reamp them all with a vintage amp plugin.

Draper

.mp3    Way of Life.mp3 --  (Download: 14.17 MB)

I have a couple audio anomalies. . . couple of clicks. I'll check these out.
Hello Draper

Things that stand out to me

*Cymbals are very upfront it's quite distracting in the beginning. By the end of the song my ears adjusted to them but Some compression will do you good here to soften the attack. Also there is a ringing freq right at the beginning on them. I believe it's the third hit.
*Drums levels are okay with vocals.. but I feel the bass and guitars are not matching with their grid.
*Toms could come up a bit to prevent the kit from sounding to separate from each other. Also there is quite a lot of click on them.. its poking out around the 3khz-6khz area.
*Vocals are sounding really good.
*I like the creamy distortion guitars you got! Wink
*good job on taming the beater on the kick. It sounds very smooth.
*at 4:55 there is a clip on the bass. Came with the recording but I would suggest you automate an eq to lower the freet noise there.

It's getting there keep it up.
Hope this helps.
Hey Draper,

I reckon that you have made a pretty good start to this one. Really like your vocals and overall tones. I'm wondering if you should maybe bring the distorted guitars up a bit at 1:52 just for some extra impact before the lead guitar part.

Well done
Dave
Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I put a lot more work into the revision. Changed a lot. I added two more samples to the snare, re-leveled my toms, I ran more of the guitars through amp sims, I re-balanced the bass parts, and changed my bass sim amp on my di track. I also added more automation on the snare and guitars, and changed a lot of the automation on the vocals.

I was never really happy with the snare, but I think it hits so much harder and sounds fuller now.

I didn't edit the ringing of the cymbal on the third hit because I actually kinda like it ;-)

Let me know what you guys think of my rev.

Draper

.mp3    Way of Life2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.17 MB)

Definitely better balanced draper

*snare has a reverb panned to the left which is bugging me. Its making the snare heavier on the left side.
Using average headphones.

Update while listening in my car stereo:

*snare has too much reverb on the snare channel or at least it sounds like you used the reverb on the channel strip instead of a bus. Its taking that crack away a Lil bit. I would suggest to leave the snare channel as dry as possible and use the wet reverb in a bus to get that crack on it better.
You caught me. I was trying to cover the artificiality on some of the repetitive snare hits, and I thought there was actually too much "crack." I do have it running through a buss. . . i just happened to add in the individual hits to the verb as well. . . I shall adjust, and try a less heavy handed approach!
Okaaaaaaaaay. Snare feels much better to me. Think I'm done.

.mp3    Way of Life 3.mp3 --  (Download: 14.17 MB)

No, now I'm done. Automated the bass a bit.

Draper

.mp3    Way of Life 4 (Final).mp3 --  (Download: 14.17 MB)

Hey Draper ,
Listening to latest version, a touch more air in the top end like a shelf eq 1-2 db 2k and up on the master bus would sound cool ?
Can hear a little hollow boxyness from the snare around 350hz area but is a challenge I'm still working on too .
Good one Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts