Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindy Hip Big Band: The Opener Pierson's Mix
Hi all,

I'm a professional audio engineer, was kinda bored on my off day so I decided to do a quick mixing exercise to practice. Hope you guys enjoy this mix. Feel free to comment/criticise.

Just some quick info about how I approached the mix:

1. I wanted to achieve a modern, clean and upfront mix yet retain the mojo/warmth of an old style recording.

2. Wanted to achieve a really rich sound as big bands to me are about a larger than life sound, hence the use of lush sounding reverb with the right tonal balance.

3. Decided on a "US-style" mix, so went generous with compression without killing the dynamics of the song.

Pierson

.mp3    LindyHip_BigBand_MixPrac.mp3 --  (Download: 5.88 MB)

HI!

I happened across this site a few days ago while on a break at work. I emailed myself the link so that I could scour around to see what I might like to delve into at some point (hobbyist) . Today after viewing a few posts and listening to some other genre mixes I found yours. LOVED IT! ...signed up and here is my first post!

I'll DL the tracks and have a go. Still running LP9 and all native plug ins. Should be fun!

Thanks for posting.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the nice comments, glad you enjoyed the track.
Have fun with the mix, but sometimes challenging, to mix a big band.
The Session was done march 2015, was a lot of work to do, this tune was one take.
The tracks were done on an old! Mackie 24 Track HDR.
Have fun I'll look out for your mix.
Ciao Bill
(20-01-2017, 05:09 AM)matty6strings Wrote: HI!

I happened across this site a few days ago while on a break at work. I emailed myself the link so that I could scour around to see what I might like to delve into at some point (hobbyist) . Today after viewing a few posts and listening to some other genre mixes I found yours. LOVED IT! ...signed up and here is my first post!

I'll DL the tracks and have a go. Still running LP9 and all native plug ins. Should be fun!

Thanks for posting.

Matt

Thank you for the comments, have a great time mixing and making music here!