Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's In These Times - AZ Mix
Alright, here's my first attempt at this one. This tune seemed like it was going to be a reasonably straight forward mix at first but the more I got into it, the harder it seemed to become. I admit that the only bands I'm familiar with in this genre are Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys and only superficially at that but did try to take a few cues on general direction from both of them while noting the stereotype that Irish bands apparently have to sing lightheartedly about drinking and bar fights as a matter of course. Smile

I had two main goals here... First, I wanted to keep things from sounding overly processed in order to keep things kinda rough and raw. Second, I wanted it to sound fairly present, especially the vocals. So I went with fairly short reverbs (less than a second on the vocals) and tried to keep things drier than I otherwise would. That was a must on the instruments anyway because they were all in much the same space. I have SOME delays here but very few and very soft.

I found it very difficult to get a good width on this mix without hard panning things and it just didn't sound like that was how this mix should go. Nor did it sound like parts should be moving around much in the stereo field so where something ended up was pretty much where it sounded like it had to stay. I also found it pretty difficult to get this mix to have a decent amount of punch without overdoing the drums and the bass and it doesn't take much for that bass to go from "where are you?" to "dude, back the hell off!"

Feels like it still needs some work to me but thought I'd post a first draft for opinions.

.mp3    ItsInTheseTimes-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 11.85 MB)

Old West Audio
"This tune seemed like it was going to be a reasonably straight forward mix at first" Now there's a trap to fall into! lol.
Sounding nice and balanced with headphones on. I think you have achieved your desired ambience. I'm not familiar with this track yet, but am I hearing a tin whisle of sorts trying to break into the mix. May need to come up a bit. Nice work! Smile

Dave.
Really nice Im just yearning to hear more of those sustaining instruments like the violin and accordion which really fill the mix out