Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Arise - my first attempt at reggae
So, this is my first mixdown and attempt at a reggae track. I love the recording files, it is definitely a case of 'less is more' with mixing this track and is the option I've gone for here. I've spent about 2 hours on this so there's always more to do, especially with all of those vocals, but for now I'll leave it where it is before I completely destroy it.

I started with some basic stuff - gain staging (those files are HOT!), stereo panning and getting a level balance. Then had a few listens through to see what I wanted to hear, and where I wanted to hear it. Did some funky H-delay ping-pong stuff with the synths for something different, and I think the slight dusting of reverb on the vocals and drums gives a good sense of space.

Sorting out a decent level with the wah guitar took the longest - lots of nasty distracting nasally percussive stuff in that track that I didn't want to eek through the mix.

I'd be interested in all your thoughts and criticisms.

Tom

.mp3    Arise - Run Run Run - 1st Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.39 MB)

hi,

just ask myself, if the thread opener cares anymore... anyway:

the mix is quite quiet, compared to others here. Wink but its a mix, not a master, so thats ok to me!

the mix itself sounds good to me, nice vocalcomping. i don't know yet if i really like the vocal room.

the steady delay on the organ from the beginning on throughout the whole track is a bit boring. less and always a bit different is more impact. would like more tweaking and automation there.

imho in reggae - and meanwhile in almost any other genre as well i assume - the mixing desk (or todays controllers and automation in a daw) is used as an additional instrument. there is no set and forget in that sense. you play your sends and returns and mutes and at least a bit to carry a vibe. Wink

regards,

micha