Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Never Stop My MIX
Hello guys!! Nice song with great recordings. I hope you like it!! Let me know what I did well and what did wrong. Smile

.mp3    Never Stop.mp3 --  (Download: 9.49 MB)

Hey Andreas, been awhile Smile Listening on headphones.

I am really enjoying the long ambience on the guitars and vocals. In the quieter sections at least, I'd dry up the snare drum a little bit, personally. It's not a bad sound but it's a little dated from a production standpoint.

For the most part, instrument balances are working, such that I can pretty clearly hear each element in the mix. There are quite a few guitars going on at a few point from what I can tell, so I'd consider seeing if any improvement could be wrought by muting, at least in certain sections. As it stands, it sounds to me like you've layered them pretty nicely and kept their dynamics in check, which isn't always so easy with cleaner guitar sounds, so good work.

I'm not sure what state the recordings are in, it sounds like they're pretty nicely done from your mix, so it's hard to say what you're up against on this matter, but I feel like the lead vocalist isn't getting much priority in the upper frequency ranges? It's hard to offer suggestions not knowing what's happening, but the lead vocal could in my opinion be brighter. It's possible the mic the producer used didn't capture very much treble, so maybe that's how they wanted it to sound, in which case it may be better not to fight it. In cases where I'd like a singer's voice to be a little brighter, I'll often send the vocal to an aux track that's had tube-style distortion applied and filter out everything but the upper harmonics, then tuck it in. That's basically how the hardware Aphex exciters work, it seems. If you go that route, do fiddle with the phase to make sure the tracks are combining predictably.

Overall, I like this, dude. Main thing that needs work in my opinion is the choruses. They're balanced and controlled, and they're very thick across the frequency spectrum, and that's good. For me, they could probably be a little louder relative to the verses, where fewer instruments are playing. It's sort of an odd sensation when the number of instruments/singers doubles but the loudness of the arrangement doesn't increase by much. I'm almost wondering if you've got parallel compression going on the master buss and it's pushing the verses up a bit relative to the choruses?

From time to time I think I can hear a compressor working on the lead vocal, or maybe it's a fader ride that could be tightened up a little. If it's a compressor inserted on the vocal channel, maybe play with the attack time and the ratio a little bit so it's not kicking in so hard. Or if the vocal is hitting a master buss compressor too hard, the best fix is to find those moments and ride the vocal until the compressor isn't pushing back so hard on the louder notes. fiddling with master compression settings at this stage of the mix is like playing with fire.

Overall good work dude, sounds like you've improved since I last listened to your mixing Smile
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hello Pauli and many thanks for taking this deep listening and giving this detailed comment!! I focused on the lead vocals and changed the attack of the compressor. I think u were right and now it's better. I raised the volume of the snare 1.5 db and finally made a volume automation on the master bus in order to make the song sound more aggressive in the choruses. Let me know what is needed more. Thanks a lot again!!

.mp3    Never Stop 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.49 MB)

πολύ ωραία μίξη, Ανδρέα! μου αρέσει ο ήχος του τραγουδιού πολύ. Μα τώρα θα συνεχίσω στα Αγγλικά γιατί υπάρχουν λέξεις πως δεν ξέρω να τις πω στα Ελληνικά!

The ambience is very appealing and that's great since I consider it's something quite hard to achieve. Check the vocal during the choruses. During the verses it's upfront but during verses it seems to be pushed back in the mix. Probably there's some frequency conflict with the guitars and that's why it seems to be further.

Good job!
mixing since April 2013
Without comparing it directly to the first mix, I do like the second mix better. I think Juan is right and the guitars are masking the vocal a little bit in the choruses, which wasn't as apparent in headphones but on some speaker systems in some rooms it could be a problem. Don't fiddle with it TOO much though... in most modern music it's normal for the lead vocal to recess a little in the chorus and come up front in the verses.

Having said that, on second listening I wonder if the lead vocal would come across a little better with slightly less ambience in the verses. I like the nature of the effect, but now I'm wondering if it's a little too loud. A little less ambience in the verses in general would probably go a long way toward creating yet more contrast between the verses and choruses... which in my opinion delivers a more rewarding emotional payoff and helps keep the song interesting.

Just my opinions though, dude, you're doing good work.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Guys thank you both very much for your patience and listening. After your suggestions I did some changes on the volume automation of the lead vocal and on the fx of the lead vocal. I hope it's better now. Smile

.mp3    Never Stop 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.49 MB)

Great work Andreas! I really like how wide the bass feels
Thanks a lot pmilani!!
Remix of this song in 2020 I would like to read your thoughts! Cheers!!

.mp3    NEVER STOP MASTER 2020.mp3 --  (Download: 9.53 MB)