Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alone With You - AZ Mix
Here's my take on this tune.

I saw this more of a soft jazz tune so treated it somewhat in that vein.

Biggest challenges here were the fact there were a whole slew of imprecise edits in the multitrack that resulted in a lot of pops and clicks that had to be edited out. In Pro Tools, this is a perfect application for the pencil tool. Unfortunately, Sonar doesn't allow me to scribble on wave forms so I had to take different measures to deal with these. Worst was the bass and AG2 but there are others scattered about. Second was the vocal line. After you apply compression, all his breathing comes way out and has to be automated back down where it belongs. Third was the snare drum. I generally like a less prominent snare but it was rather hard to do here without making it sound distant rather than softer.

Anyway, here's my take on this. (I probably need to go through and see if I can't even out the levels more between the various sections of the tune but otherwise, I feel it sounds about right.) Wish I had some sweetener plugins to use on that vocal. It sounds like it would take well to them.

Comments welcome as always.

(Edit May 6, added v2 mix)

.mp3    alone-with-you-v2mix.mp3 --  (Download: 17.5 MB)

.mp3    alone-with-you-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 17.31 MB)

Old West Audio
Hey AZ,
I think you've done a pretty good job with this one. I'm more than happy with your "softer" snare sound. This would be a sound I would aim for myself. The main thing I'm hearing is the kick and bass is sounding too prominent and over powering in the intro and louder sections of the song, probably a dB or 2 cut back in these areas would suffice and pull them back into line.
Great work Smile
Dave.
Hi Azwayne ,
I agree with Dave ,I like it a lot pretty solid balanced mix.
If anything on my monitors maybe a touch more top end shelf 5k and up 1-2db on the master bus Smile.

Great job.
Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Yeah, I've effectively done both of those changes already. I had the kick split into loud and soft so I could easily EQ them differently and decided to pull back the loud kick a little bit. I also removed a little low end on the guitars and the vocal along with a good 6k boost on the vox so that helps there as well. Gonna let it cook for a day or two, do a tad bit more tuning and post a revision.
Old West Audio
So I went back and made a few adjustments and while the tone improved, things didn't sit quite right anymore. That left me going back and readjusting several things and tweaking other things. Thus, you can almost consider this a remix even though I tried to keep the same general tone. Truth be told, though, I'm not sure I improved things all that much.

Anyway, V2 added above.
Old West Audio