Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Dice" C&C Welcome!
So, seems I'm a bit behind with my "mix a week" idea as I got caught up in a mixing contest, but I promised this would be the next one on the list, so here it is. This is first pass.

I did a lot more here than I would normally do, with the timing and tuning and such. Some notes:
- I calculated tempo to 88.2 BPM.
- One of the cymbals is REALLY acting up. Could be how it is suspended, picking up shocks from other drums. I tried to pin down the offending frequencies, but had difficulty, as there's probably a lot of them and they're not in a natural harmonic order.

Let me know what you guys think. Smile

.mp3    Mixdown2(2).mp3 --  (Download: 14.12 MB)

find the whole mix quite dull like its really lacking in high frequency info - but the balance sounds great to me!
(01-05-2016, 01:07 AM)lm425 Wrote: find the whole mix quite dull like its really lacking in high frequency info - but the balance sounds great to me!

Thanks lm425! Yeah, I need to search a bit for the magic I'm looking for on the 2bus. I threw a tape warmer on at the end just because, as it was, it was too harsh (and I didn't want to hurt anyone), but I figured I'd throw the mix up so I could address any changes all at once. Totally agree with you, and I hear it too. Smile
Updated!
Hi Dude, Mix is getting there. Its still a bit woolly on the bottom end I think you need to separate the bass and kick a bit more and then maybe attenuate the highs on the cymbals . I think this would balance out the tone and give it all a lift IMP. All balanced well but for my taste a tiny bit of boost on the vocal ..........but I like up front vocals

all the best

Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! I can return to this mix in a few days, but I wanted to say thank you right away. I actually did have the bass side-chained, but I totally forgot to output my side-chain when I exported stems, so ya! totally my bad on that. I'll look back into OH highs and bass wooliness and get back.

In regards to vocals, I like them a bit hotter too sometimes, but I think it depends on style, no? I could do a small boost, maybe 1-1.5 dB, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable pushing beyond that. When presenting a solo artist or a pop mix, for sure, but I thought pushed back a bit was a better presentation for a band with a loud presentation.

Thanks again for the feedback! Big Grin