Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The travelling band - Quicksand (vmb-mix)
the main vocal needs some work. feel free to comment! trying out new things so feedback very welcome.

mixed it again from scratch, to be able to compare with my previous mix, done months ago, and see where i stand compared to that. am i getting any better at this? some confirmation would be nice!

.mp3    The travelling band - Quicksand (vmb-mix).mp3 --  (Download: 5.91 MB)

.mp3    Quicksand v2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.96 MB)

I think you have a good balanced mix somewhere under this smoggy veil.
Now space is a bit unfocused.

ALso vox sounds like it’s only a reverb channel.

I would try to take some of the elements away that space effect and leave it only to well chosen instruments.
Good job with the overall sound and balance I like the guitars.
Sounds like you have gone for a small live room vibe with the effects, as a personal taste preference maybe a touch less room on the vocals.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Vox sounds very muffled - too much 200hz or something or maybe your HP filter is set too low. Guitars sound good and your overall level balances and panning are good with the exception that the kick and toms seem lost in the mist.

Not sure if hitting the limiter so hard is doing yourself any favours here....It all sounds very crushed. I'm not sure if you want a crushed distorted mix or not so it makes it hard to give constructive feedback. Probably better easing off the mix buss level 3-6 db

BTW, your mp3 is clipping. Probably because you've set your limiter to 0dbFS and the mp3 converter is spiking over the top to give you overs. Much safer have limiter set to -0.5dbFS so when you use mp3 converter it stays below 0dbFS - or use a True Peak limiter.

cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
thx for the constructive comments. decided to revisit this recording and start again from scratch, to see how i evolved in 6 months time. thx for listening, hoping for some feedback!