Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rovers Ahead: It's In These Times (mgetz mix)
This was a really fun song to mix. The lead vocal was a little tricky. I still think I could have automated a little more, especially the vocal in a few parts before it hits the compressor. I didn't want to kill the vibe too much though, and I like the raw energy the song has without cleaning up excessively.

Best,

mgetz

.mp3    It\'s In These Times.mp3 --  (Download: 10.49 MB)

I like the overall sound
Although the stereo spread is quite narrow, all the instruments are nicely separated.

My main critic would be about vox:
Vox sounds too much like a small vocal booth. The openess of the band and closedness of the vox don’t match now. Vox may have also some sort of muddyness in it now.

Otherwise this mix sounds very nice to my ears.
(27-04-2016, 08:36 AM)Olli H Wrote: I like the overall sound
Although the stereo spread is quite narrow, all the instruments are nicely separated.

My main critic would be about vox:
Vox sounds too much like a small vocal booth. The openess of the band and closedness of the vox don’t match now. Vox may have also some sort of muddyness in it now.

Otherwise this mix sounds very nice to my ears.

I agree. I found it hard to make the lead vocal mesh well and not sound like a booth. I didn't want to over-treat it, and I think it stands out as one of the parts that needs work. I also think that the singer was a bit too close to the mic when recording, because you are right that there is a lot of proximity low end / low-mid mud on the take. I'll take another look at it and try to clean it up / make it gel better in the mix.

I also think the bass could be dropped by a db or two and that the lead vocal could move up a db or two now that I listen back to it.