Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rovers Ahead - Olli H
It was difficult to decide whether to go towards ”rough and lo-fi” or ”clean and hi-fi”. Vox-track demanded it to be lo-fi, but acoustic instruments kind of asked hi-fi.

After I studied my reference ”Dropkick Murphys & The Pogues”, I decided to go more towards hi-fi. There the attitude of band comes nicely through even though the sound is very clean and polished.

Also I was positively suprised the Dropkick Murphys didn’t try participate in loudness war. So I also decided to stay around -10db RMS.

But after all, I found this one to be a pretty difficult to mix…

EDIT: I replaced the old with this new version with tighter bass.

.mp3    itsinthesetimes-2016-04-27-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

yes, it's a very difficult one and I'm having a lot of problems with so many instruments. But I think you've dealt pretty well with it. The drums sound very well, and so does the bass. Despite the number of instruments, they sound very clear to me so I believe you've done a very good work on it.

I would only point out that sometimes when he says "times" during the choruses, I hear something strange. Probably it's the distortion on the vox that should be lowered a little bit.
mixing since April 2013
Thanks, I'll check that issue!
Hi Olli,
Sounds well balanced ,wondering if you have some tape saturation on the master bus ?
Good job

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks.
If I remember correctly, I have only eq and limiter6 on the master bus. But I'm quite sure that on my "bluegrass bus" there's Massey Tapehead.
Really nice mix. For my mix I referenced the original mix and just tried to make it clearer but actually I don't really think the original mix is that appropriate for this song. My only comment here would be bit more in the mid lows and perhaps just a little more kick. But I love that clarity across the middle
Thanks for listening. I must check that low mids issue.