Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lead Inc - The Dice Mix by Ak3r
Ok. So here's my take on mixing this song. Unconsciously this song sounded to a lot like APC/Tool more than stoner or anything like that...so that was my approach to this mix.... Please share any thought or comment that comes to your mind. Thanks a lot!!

Ak3r

.mp3    LEAD INC - THE DICE MIX 1 MASTER 1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.95 MB)

Hi AK3r,
I like your mix sounds well balanced and great sounding effects , As a personal preference just the reverb and decay could be a touch more subtle maybe on the master bus reverb if used ?

Good Job Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(25-04-2016, 10:28 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi AK3r,
I like your mix sounds well balanced and great sounding effects , As a personal preference just the reverb and decay could be a touch more subtle maybe on the master bus reverb if used ?

Good Job Big Grin

Hey there!! Thanks a lot for your comment Smile !! Im happy that u didnt find any major flaws in the mix and that u liked the fx, i had some good fun letting my creativity flow hehehe...And yeah I got a little bit carried away with the reverbs...There's 3 different for drums, voice and guitars but all of them are a bit long and exagerated...But It was the feeling that this song gave me...This time was more an artistic choice than a technical one hehe. Thanks a lot again for your comment Smile
Hi Ak3r,

This is sounding nice. I think you've done a great job here. I'm hearing the issues of the reverb that you're now aware of. The only other things I can say is the guitars could be scooped out a little in the mids (sounding a bit rounded), around the 2k mark I'm guessing. Although you've got the vocals sitting nice this will clear some extra space for them and then I think the vocals could come down a dB or so. They maybe sounding a little hot and too out front (that maybe your preference though). These are minor issues only.

Well done
Dave.
(25-04-2016, 02:15 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Ak3r,

This is sounding nice. I think you've done a great job here. I'm hearing the issues of the reverb that you're now aware of. The only other things I can say is the guitars could be scooped out a little in the mids (sounding a bit rounded), around the 2k mark I'm guessing. Although you've got the vocals sitting nice this will clear some extra space for them and then I think the vocals could come down a dB or so. They maybe sounding a little hot and too out front (that maybe your preference though). These are minor issues only.

Well done
Dave.

Hi Dave Smile Thanks a lot for your comment. Yeah, of course the reverb hehe...althought it was more an artistic choice, experimenting how it felt...But yeah, definetly could be a bit more subtle sometimes. With the guitars i tamed down a bit the high end on the sides, wich is exactly where the guitars are panned (hard left and right), because i felt i was a bit too harsh. Maybe that gives you the feeling that needs a few db's less around 2k...One guitar is has a bit of enhancement around 3k and the other around 1 k to make them sit apart on the mix. I'll jot down all of this for future mixes or a review of this one. Thanks for checking my mix Smile
I think somewhere along the line your audio tracks got dragged out of time!
In order of importance, I would rank the elements of a great mix as follows:
1) Dynamics: Impact & Punch
2) Spectrum: Balance, Clarity & Warmth
3) Image: Colour & Stage
4) Loudness

This seems fairly well balanced, but lacks impact. It occurs to me that (4) without (1) is useless. I've turned down the track volume to match what I want to hear, and now it lacks both.
(30-04-2016, 01:56 AM)lm425 Wrote: I think somewhere along the line your audio tracks got dragged out of time!

Hey there Smile thanks for your comment. Yeah i felt that too...I might give it a try and see if they r properly synced.
(30-04-2016, 06:33 AM)Phil_The_Rodent Wrote: In order of importance, I would rank the elements of a great mix as follows:
4) Loudness

This seems fairly well balanced, but lacks impact. It occurs to me that (4) without (1) is useless. I've turned down the track volume to match what I want to hear, and now it lacks both.

Now this is an interesting comment Smile 1st of all thanks for ur comment...Yeah...maybe i sacrificed impact for clarity...I also, match my tracks to the others to compare, as that's the only fair way, the loudness is relative, it's just a final step to match the level to commercial tracks. Anyway...yeah, probably the drums could be punchier, the guitars a bit more exiciting on the end...I tamed down a bit the whole mix in from 5-6Khz so it wont be too bright....Dunno, what do you think that could make it have more impact??
(03-05-2016, 12:30 PM)Ak3r Wrote:
(30-04-2016, 06:33 AM)Phil_The_Rodent Wrote: In order of importance, I would rank the elements of a great mix as follows:
4) Loudness

Now this is an interesting comment Smile 1st of all thanks for ur comment...Yeah...maybe i sacrificed impact for clarity...I also, match my tracks to the others to compare, as that's the only fair way, the loudness is relative, it's just a final step to match the level to commercial tracks. Anyway...yeah, probably the drums could be punchier, the guitars a bit more exiciting on the end...I tamed down a bit the whole mix in from 5-6Khz so it wont be too bright....Dunno, what do you think that could make it have more impact??

Dunno, which is kinda why I left the comment somewhat open. It feels like maybe there's too much control. Everything is sitting too well-behaved.