Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first attempt.
Hi :-)

I´m completely new here. Firstly I´d like to say...great idea!! I´m really excited about having the opportunity to practice and improve my mixing skills.
Basically I'm more of live sound engineer than Studio, although I do fiddle around with a couple of bands here at home for fun. Loved this song and just HAD to have a go at mixing it. A couple of things drove me nuts with it though. The crackling on the bass for starters, so i gated it and tried to sort it out through that. The other thing....the drums were somewhat annoying, no direct Hihat microphone and really hard overheads. I love direct sounding drums...(must be a live thing) and I really felt the guitars were well balanced.

But what do you guys think?

Looking forward to your comments

.mp3    Alone with you.mp3 --  (Download: 7.02 MB)

How come everyone flies over my mix and noone comments? Is it too boring?

I think you've done an admiral job with the drums, although I do not share your characterization of the drum recording. Not sold on the vocal reverb. Takes away to much of the quality of the vocal and forces attention on the effects trail, which I think is unwarranted for this performance. I also think you might want to be a bit more dynamic with the guitar parts against the vocal. Those parts are tending to get lost in parts and there seems to be a whole lot of space available to bring them into better focus during the song. They don't seems to share the dynamic power of the song when I think they should participate more according to the emotions of the song. Your sounds are excellent and over-all this is very enjoyable.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Well thanks for such a constructive and helpful comment.

Ha. You got me on the vocal reverb. I´m not happy with it either. I use Logic to mix...and I´ve not really found a reverb within the normal setup that satisfies me. Having not listened to this for a while...the snare might be a tiny bit "hard" for my taste after all. Brought the guitars up and checked my compressors. Here I agree with you too, the Guitars have been bumped up by around 6 dB and fill out much nicer.
I left the fade out on the vocal at the end... it was just a game...I sort of wanted the singer to "go away, wrapped in his love for her..." and the fade out gives it that sort of effect, just wondering if everything should be faded....