Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milk Cow Blues
Hi! I'm Natalia and I'm from Argentina. I'm 19 years old and I'm currently studying to become an audio engineer. This is not my first mix but I'm particularly interested in receiving feedback on this one. I chose Reaper to mix this song, I worked mostly with plugins from Waves Bundle 7, specially Q and API 550 equalizers and API 2500 compressors, to name a few. I did no editing at all nor did I correct occasional tune or timing issues.
Needless to say, I'd appreciate if you could listen to it and please make comments or suggestions.

.mp3    Milk Cow Blues final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

Hola Natalia

I'm not very familiar with this kind of genre but here are my observations.

* drums feel too far away in the back.
*bass could come up a bit more as its mostly "feel" that I perceive.
*vocal eq sounds nice, I just think its too above the overall instrumentation.

Again.. I'm not very familiar with this genre but I've heard few mixes of this before.

I have to say that api plugin does make everything warmer. I also use them some times.

Saludos!! Y echale ganas.. Siempre me gusta saber De chavas que les interesa el audio. ☺
Only listening on the little PC speakers at the moment, but what you've done sounds pretty good to me overall. In particular the balance seems very nicely managed, with lots of sensible level judgements throughout the arrangement. Sounds like you've done some sensitive automation work here, but whatever it is you've done, the result just immediately sounds convincing to me. Effects seem pretty sensible too, in terms of making all the separate tracks sound like a cohesive ensemble. In terms of criticisms, the main thing that hits me is that maybe the fiddle tone feels a bit strident by comparison with the lead vocal in particular. Yes, you need some contrast between those parts to maintain some musical differentiation, but the midrangey fiddle tone you've chosen makes it feel a bit cheap to me, in relation to the sounds you've achieved for the rest of the band.

Hope that helps!

Hi Shul!
Thanks for the feedback. I listened to it again and realized you were right. I took your advise and decided to work on the drums and voice level and here's the result. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.
Thanks!
Natalia.

.mp3    Milk Cow Blues final shul 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

Hi Mike!
Thanks for sparing the time to listen to my mix. I took your advise as regards the fiddle tone, I must say that it was a bit hard to tackle this issue but after a few attempts I think I've reached a nice result. I attach two screenshots of the two EQ I've used.
Hope you can listen to it and tell me what you think.
Thanks again!
Natalia.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Milk Cow Blues final senior 1 .mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

Hola, la mezcla esta bastante bien. Cmo bien dijeron el violin suena bastante medioso, tal vez te ayudaria ponerle un eq dinamico en las frecuencias que resaltan mucho en algunas partes. Y ponerle mas reverb o una que lo tire mas para atras en la mezcla.

En la guitarra que solea podes darle algo mas de medios y ponerle algun delay onda slap back asi suena mas al estilo.
Tal vez subiria un poquito el tambor o le daria algo mas de cuerpo.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.