Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glass Mix Laguna
Hi there,

I found this really great song and wanted to share my mix with you.

The rawtracks are great and it was a lot of fun mixing it Smile
The Drums and Bass work is very nice and groovy. The only drawback were the main and backing vocals as they had lot of sibilants in it and getting rid of that with a deesser was not as easy as i thought.

I am looking forward to your comments on my mix.

Best regards,
Laguna

.mp3    2016-04-10_TheGlass_Laguna.mp3 --  (Download: 7.91 MB)

Hi Laguna,

Overall your mix is sounding quite nice, maybe a little dark listening through headphones, not sure. The main issue for me is the synth is sounding somewhat detached from the mix. The mix is sounding weighted to the left when it's playing and is sounding too obvious when it starts and stops. (Seems to leave a hole in the mix when it disappears). it also sounds like it might be burying a electric guitar part that is playing underneath it. Might be a simple fix with panning and arrangement.

Well done so far.
Hello Laguna

Here are my observations

*Bass has too much low energy in my opinion. I would lower the low end from 100hz and under.. or just drop some volume on it. Or perhaps a resonance around the 200hz could be the problem.
*Vocals need to be more up front. It gets a bit lost in the chorus. It could also be the bass is making it sink in the middle. Maybe lowering the bass will make the vocal stand out like they should.
*I agree with Dangerous that the violin on the left is too prominent. It could be the hard panning didn't help too much. I would throw that in the center.. or use a stereo spreader to have a wider image of it in the background.

Overall this is sounding pretty good. Keep it up.
Hi there,

I changed the arrangement a little bit (so violin is no longer to the left). Also a low shelf -3dB @100Hz on the bass and some eq changes on the vocals. Please tell me how you like it Smile

So Far...
Laguna

.mp3    2016-04-12_TheGlass_Laguna.mp3 --  (Download: 7.91 MB)

(12-04-2016, 05:40 PM)Laguna Wrote: Hi there,

I changed the arrangement a little bit (so violin is no longer to the left). Also a low shelf -3dB @100Hz on the bass and some eq changes on the vocals. Please tell me how you like it Smile

So Far...
Laguna

Violin sounds good now.
I still think the bass track needs to come down 3db or so to solve the low energy excess.
I downloaded the mix and ran it through a meter.

On the picture It shows that low end build up overall. (the peaks are higher at points in the mix)
There is a vst you can get for free it's called TDR Nova. It's an equilizer but is also a dynamic Eq compressor.. to compress specific freq.
It's very useful.

here is the link.
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

Thumbnail(s)

Very nice sounding mix, especially v2. Violin could be louder. How did you get the piano so it does what it is supposed to do and is wide but not mushy and it does not stand out ? A little quieter bass and thats it.
Hi there,

Thanks for the nice reply. I tried the Nova VST and it is quite nice. bought the GE right away. Big Grin

For the piano it is just some eq as shown in the attached image.
The Plugin is Ignite Amps PTEQ-x which is free. This is a great plugin and it sounds very good, regardless of how hard you push it (note the max boost for 5K top right).
After the EQ there is a compressor dealing roughly 4dB of gain reduction, just gluing the sound together a bit so it sounds more compact, especially in the mix.
Thats it.

[Image: u7Cpuu5.png]

So Far...
Laguna
And there is another version with fixed bass now. Used SDDR on the track to shift it up to more audible regions and added a lowcut. No great changes on the rest of the track.

Replies and critics always welcome!

So Far...
Laguna

.mp3    2016-04-21_TheGlass_Laguna.mp3 --  (Download: 8.1 MB)