Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4991 Mix
Hi this is my attempt to mix this song! Hope you all enjoy!
Any suggestions or critics are welcome! Big Grin

.mp3    Bluesjazzmixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

Cubase 5
hi
i like your dark feel its beter then mine i think .but you need to be careful on the use with reverb you overdid it on the vocal its to much,whan you uze reverb that you can hear it need to be "grand" if not you need to jast make the vocal in the vibe and not pull it inside .
and uze more compressors to keep it even. the ac gtr jast jamp to much .
thank's mate,what'd u mean by dark?i dont get it! Smile
Cubase 5
i mean you didnt push the hi end out so much and theres more mid in the track . Smile
Hi 4991,

overdoing reverb on vocals is a funny thing... it's much easier to spot when someone else does it :-) If agree with uzilevi: for my ear you did overdo it on the vocal. But I tend to do exactly the same thing, without ever noticing it on my own. So far, anyway. In your case, I suspect that you generally overdid it. On the soundstage, I clearly 'see' the acoustic guitar and the fiddle, obviously, but everything in between 'looks' quite foggy to me. The vocal sticks out, though, and appears to come from another, albeit acoustically very improbable room, perhaps a parallel universe.

With respect to frequency balance, I think some warmth and even a certain boxyness can suit the song well, if you decide so. That is the "darkness" uzilevi was talking about, I think. I don't miss the highs as much as uzilevi does, though. I think the lack of highs on the individual voices contributes to the fog in the center as much as the reverb does, but overall, I am fine with the mellow highs.

However, I find the mix quite bass-heavy. I rolled off the bass exponentially, starting at 300 Hz and crossing -6 dB at 100 Hz (at least on ReaEQ's display), and found it much more natural sounding, approaching the overall frequency balance of dimitris' mix, which I like in this regard, but still a bit warmer, which I like even more :-)

What I would try next (apart from dialing back the reverb, and chosing a 'smaller' one to begin with) is low-cutting the individual instruments and reserve low frequencies for those instruments that really need them. Which I think are the bass and the piano.

To further clean up the center, you have to 'see' it clearly in the first place. To ensure that, I find it helpful to pan something to center, close my eyes and determine if I actually 'see' it there (in the center, that is). If I don't, I move back from the speakers until I do. (Michael Paul Stavrou, who imagines a sort of sonic "rubber band" between the speakers, would instead suggest to change the distance between the speakers to not over- or understretch that rubber band, but in some settings, like mine, that's physically impossible.)

In any case, thanks for sharing your mix!

Marc
hi to all i jast say i liked the "less hi" not meaning you need more Smile
hi Marc! i learn much from your comment,thank's for all ur suggestions!
Cubase 5