Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new mix
Another song I mixed

.mp3    dice mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.86 MB)

Hey Obelix,
Nice mix in overall! Guitars ar really nice sounding. Balance feels good too.
I'd like to here toms more present and back vox. Nice work.
Regards Lethan.
Hi. You might not be aware that horrible stuff is happening in your mix with bass in headphones. It's fine on monitors though.
Listening on sony MDR-7506's, and I don't think that there is anything terrible in the low end. It is definitely full, but I wouldn't say horrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'm wondering if there really is a difference, as I've heard there was, between American mixing and European mixing. I've wondered this a bit on this forum.

Draper
I will say, using a spectrum analyzer there is quite a bit of sub energy. I don't really feel like is a detriment to the sound of your mix. My speakers aren't woofing out, nor are my headphones. I feel like this song (as I stated about it before) actually needs a large amount of bass to get the proper energy out of it. . .

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I have been wrestling with the low end of my mixes for a long while (as documented in this forum). I'd like to have a discussion about this with a lot people on this forum. There are just many questions I have about the feeling of sub energy vs keeping it very clean as it pertains to a spectrum analyzer. The whole "keep the bass equal to the vocal peak during the chorus" mentality makes sense, but sometimes it just feels like a song requires extra sub energy to get the proper feel that you are trying to emote.

Here is a song by Nine Inch Nails. The low end is off the charts! http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Draper_...a.jpg.html

I've actually stayed up at night wondering if what I hear is just wrong when I have a rock mix with a bunch of low end...

Any input?

Draper
Draper, it feels like you are "listening" through an analyzer too much.
Sometimes it's best to do what you feel is right. What analyzers say doesn't matter as long as you like it. You just have to trust your guts.
The drums, and the mix generally, sounds nicely balanced. Personally I'd transient shape the drums a little more, but very much a matter of personal preference there. The vocal sounds like it could use more treatment to add some polish?
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(31-03-2016, 10:08 AM)Sono Wrote: Draper, it feels like you are "listening" through an analyzer too much.
Sometimes it's best to do what you feel is right. What analyzers say doesn't matter as long as you like it. You just have to trust your guts.

Haha, that's the thing. I actually don't use an analyzer all that often, but I have gotten brow beaten in this forum about my low end (usually they have been right, but there have been some tracks where I just felt like people were completely wrong when they gave their critique). So it's just been something that I'm trying to more consistent in my bass management.

I think I'm just a little sensitive, haha,

Draper
Hey obelix,

Just to clarify, I wasn't trashing your mix. I was saying that I didn't think that your low end was a problem.
(30-03-2016, 06:24 PM)Sono Wrote: Hi. You might not be aware that horrible stuff is happening in your mix with bass in headphones. It's fine on monitors though.

I think there is too much bottom end on the panned electric guitar in the side channels clashing with the centre bass,I think rolling off the bottom end on the panned electric guitars somewhere around 200-300 depending on taste your good mix will sound awesome.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts